Oh my, zucchini carrot cake, what more can I say? This cake turned out so moist. I just wished I would have been able to get a better picture. I guess it's time to start thinking about a nicer camera. I am so envious of some of the blogs and the way they can control the background and picture. Colt seems open to the idea so maybe for Christmas he will think of me. Until then we or me will just have to deal with my mediocre pictures. I have a ton of zucchini in the back yard right now and wanted to put it to a good use, what better way then a cake. Colt ate about half the cake in the first day, it was so delicious. It defiantly is a denser cake not like what you find in the grocery store, with a nice crumb. I can't stand a store bought carrot cake, I find the cake rather dry and the the frosting to sweet. I know sometimes I'm a food snob what can I say, I'm a brat! The frosting is a little on the soft side due to less powdered sugar but if you place it in the refrigerator it will firm up and become more manageable.
Take a 2 (8 inch) cake pan and either trace around the bottom on a piece of parchment paper with a very sharp knife or use a pencil and cut with scissors.
Place parchment paper disc in bottom of the cake pan and trim to fit.
Remove parchment disc and butter bottom and sides of both cake pans. Place parchment bake into cake pan and butter the parchment.
Flour both pans lightly.
Gorgeous carrots and zucchini.
I shredded carrots and zucchini in the food processor I like the texture as they are slightly thicker then if I did them by hand. I also like the ease of use. But the old stand by grate the carrots and zucchini works well too
especially if you have cheap child labor like we do at our house .2 cups of each.
Place 2 cups brown sugar in a bowl or a mixer fitter with a paddle attachment.
Add 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce.
Add 1/3 cup canola oil, 3 eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 3 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
Mix on medium until well blended.
Add 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose.
Mix until blended and then scrap down sides and blend until incorporated.
Add 2 cups zucchini, 2 cups carrots, 1 cup chopped walnuts, and 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple drained, let the kids drink the juice!
Mix until well incorporated.
Split evenly between 2 pans. Bake for 55 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
Cool on a rack for 5 minutes and then remove from pan and finish cooling. When room temperature it is ready to frost with cream cheese frosting.
Me oh my!
Zucchini Carrot Pineapple Cake with Walnuts and Cream Cheese Frosting
Zucchini Carrot Pineapple Cake with Walnuts and Cream Cheese Frosting. Easy and delicious. Recipe includes step by step photos with instructions.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT55M
Total time: PT1H05M
Yield: 12 Servings
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1/3 cup Canola Oil
- 3 whole Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sea Salt
- 2 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Or All-Purpose
- 2 cups Carrots, Grated
- 2 cups Zucchini, Grated
- 8 ounces Canned Pineapple, Drained
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1/2 cup Butter, Softened
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 3 1/4- 4 cups Powdered Sugar, Sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2 (8 inch) cake pans and line with parchment paper, grease parchment paper.
- In a bowl or a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add brown sugar, apple sauce, oil, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Mix on medium until well blended.
- Add flour and mix until well incorporated.
- Add carrots, zucchini, walnuts, and drained pineapple. Mix well.
- Split batter evenly between two pans and bake for 55 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let rest in for 5 minutes and then remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool until room temperature.
- Cream butter and cream cheese in mixer until well incorporated.
- Add Vanilla and mix.
- Slowly add sifted powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour to improve work ability. This recipe makes a softer frosting with 3 cups of powdered sugar. But refrigeration improves handling. I personally prefer my frosting not overly sweet. But you can adjust to your preference.
- Frost cake and refrigerate.