This was a tasty, easy lentil soup. Perfect for when your sick or the weather's nasty outside. Lentils are great because they produce very little wind (if you know what I mean), increase kidney vitality, reduce cholesterol, lower blood pressure and contain neutraceuticals that inhibit cancer. Lentils are also high in calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, and vitamin A. I was worried about not having any chicken stock to use, but it turned out delicious! I will defiantly be making this more often since it was easy on the budget under 5.00 and delicious. We had a neighbor boy over to eat dinner and I was sure he was going to look at me like I was crazy when I placed this in front of him but he gobbled it up!Feel free to sub some of the veggies with what's in your fridge. Hence what to do with the beautiful radish's, I threw them in the soup and it was delish, the kids and the husband where unaware of all the goodness in the pot.
My first delivery of organic produce from Klesick Family Farms! We have a Harvest box delivered weekly to help improve on eating more local, organic fresh fruit and veggies. It also has helped me become more creative with my cooking since I receive a large variety of produce.
This was the extras I had added in. Kale, mushrooms, garlic and onions. Having a box delivered every week is like mail when you open it up to find a little surprises inside.
Chop 1 whole onion and saute in olive oil until caramelized.
Chop radish, optional.
Rinse and drain lentils, place into pot. Add garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes, radish, jalapeno and seasoning omitting salt until the end. Stir for about 2 minutes until fragrant. Add tomatoes and 8 cups water and bring to a simmer, cook for about 45 minutes until lentils are tender and soup has slightly thickened.
Add cabbage and summer squash. Season with salt to taste. Cook until squash and cabbage are tender.
Grate parmigiano reggiano over the top and enjoy!
Easy Lentil Soup
Easy Lentil Soup recipe loaded with vegetables and perfect for meatless Monday. Recipe includes step by step photos with instructions.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT55M
Total time: PT1H5M
Yield: 10 Servings
- 1 pound Lentils, Washed
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 whole Small Onion, Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, Chopped or Pressed
- 2 whole Stalks Celery, Chopped
- 4 whole Carrots, Diced
- 4 whole Red Potatoes, Diced
- 2 whole Long Radish's, Diced (optional)
- 1 whole Jalapeno, Seed's Removed
- 14 ounces Diced Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 8 cups Water or Broth
- 2 whole Yellow Squash, Diced
- 4 cups Cabbage, Diced
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt, or To Taste
- Parmigiano Reggiano, Grated (optional)
- Rinse and sort lentils and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until caramelized. Add lentils, garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes, radish's, jalapeno, turmeric, Italian seasoning and pepper. Saute for about 2 minutes until fragrant and carrots and potatoes start to soften. Add tomatoes and water. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat and reduce to low. Cook for about 45 minutes until lentils are tender and soup has slightly thickened. Add cabbage and squash. Season with salt to taste and cook another 3 minutes or until cabbage and squash are tender, yet firm.
- Garnish with parmigiano reggiano and serve.