It has become true soup weather here in the Northwest and I had a ton of tomatoes from the garden that had finally ripened. So tomato soup with hot ham and cheese subs with jalapenos it was! This soup is a thicker soup, I love to dip my sandwich. But if you prefer a thinner soup you could add a little bit of chicken stock or milk. This soup has texture and body, it's not like Campbell's but we love the fresh sweetness of the tomatoes as the flavor has condensed down from roasting. There is nothing quite like real cream of tomato soup.
Give it a shot it is super easy!
Preheat oven to 425 degree's.Toss tomatoes with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and salt. Place in oven and bake 1 hour.
They should look something like this when they are done.
Take remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and all the reaming veggies. Cook over medium heat until veggies start to caramelize. Add 1/2 cup water, turn heat to low and cover pot for about 5-10 minutes until veggies are soft.
Add veggies and 1/3 of the tomatoes to the food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and no lumps remain, in a blender you might need to add a few tablespoons of water to process. Add to a large pot and finish the remaining tomatoes working with about 1/3 at a time until completely smooth.
Heat soup over medium low heat until simmering. Remove from heat and add 1 cup of cream or half and half and basil. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Enjoy!
Roasted Cream Of Tomato Soup
Roasted Tomato Soup recipe from scratch with step by step instructions and photos.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT1H15M
Total time: PT1H30M
Yield: 5 servings
Calories per serving: 243Ingredients
Fat per serving: 16
Fat per serving: 16
- 3 1/2 pounds Tomatoes, Halved
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt, Or To Taste
- 1/2 whole Onion, Diced
- 3 stalks Celery, Diced
- 1 whole Carrot, Diced
- 1 sprig Thyme ( leaves removed or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 cup Cream or Half and Half
- 1/2 cup Basil, Chiffonaded
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place tomatoes into a large rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt. Toss to coat. Place into oven and bake for approximately 1 hour.
- When tomatoes are about 10 minutes from being done.Take remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat in a pan over medium heat, add all of the veggies and thyme in a large pot. Cook until veggies start to caramelize on the outside. Adjust heat as needed not to burn. Add the water, turn heat to low and cover to cook until veggies are soft. About 5-10 minutes.
- Add veggies and 1/3 of the roasted tomatoes to a food processor or a blender. Process until smooth and no lumps remain. In a blender you might have to add additional water or stock to puree, only add a tablespoon at a time. Add smooth tomatoes back to pot and repeat with remaining tomatoes.
- Heat soup over medium low heat until soup has come to a simmer. Remove from heat and add cream and basil. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.