Cook time: PT35M
Total time: PT45M
Yield: 5 Servings
- 51 ounces Canned Clams
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 whole Onion or Leek, Diced
- 6 whole Slices Thick Bacon, Diced
- 6 stalks Celery, Diced
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Pepper Or To Taste
- 3 pounds Russet Potatoes, Peeled And Diced
- 1 1/2 cups Cream Or Half And Half ( Milk works too but the soup will be more brown)
- 3/4 cup Scallions, Sliced And Reserved
- Place bacon in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Brown bacon and remove to a paper towel. Set aside.
- Drain fat out of the pot but leave the brown bits. Add butter and onion to the pot. Cook onion until caramelized.
- Then add the celery, thyme and pepper.
- Drain clam juice off of clams and add juice to pot. Reserve clams.
- Add potatoes to the mixture and stir. Cover with a lid and cook over medium low heat or just barely simmering until potatoes are fork tender.
- When potatoes are soft remove pot from heat and use a
- potato masher and smash half of the potatoes until the mixture is thick.
- Add clams, the cream or half and half to the pot and stir soup well.
- Place clam chowder into bowls and top with crumbled bacon and scallions.