Since it's Monday and my day was filled with appointments.
I thought it was the perfect day to revisit a quick, inexpensive, meatless Monday family favorite Artichoke and Mushroom Tomato Sauce.
As I was starting to work on this post, the kids school called and I had forgotten to pick them up... Yikes! I think my mind was lost in trying to find a way to make the stabbing pain in my back disappear, we'll save that story for another day or we'll be here all week.
I am so thankful neither of the boys were traumatized and instead were enjoying the extra time in the office hanging out with the secretaries.
I can't blame them they have super sweet secretaries at their school.
I've had several readers ask for healthy quick meals or a filling meal on a budget and this is a definite go to lunch or dinner in our house for either of those.
It's inexpensive, easy and satisfying.
My Mom would make a sauce very similar to this when I was growing up and it was always one of my favorites to this very day with rotini cooked to al dente.
*Originally Posted 01/09/2012*
A great meatless Monday dish and also extremely budget friendly!
My kids love this, but my kids do eat most veggies and love artichokes!
This is also very healthy with a high fiber pasta and is low in fat!
Saute mushrooms, celery and onions in olive oil over medium high heat until onions caramelize.
Add Italian seasoning, salt and pepper or if available some fresh basil, rosemary and oregano. My poor basil plant looks to poor to cut up right now, hopefully it will recover as the weather improves.
This is a new high fiber pasta I found at the grocery store. It looks and taste like white pasta but with a lot more fiber! The kids couldn't tell the difference! Score!
Add tomatoes, garlic and tomato paste. Stir well and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
Add chopped artichoke hearts. Stir well and serve!
Artichoke and Mushroom Tomato Sauce
Artichoke and Mushroom Tomato SaucePrep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT20M
Total time: PT30M
Yield: 5 Servings
Calories per serving: 422Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 whole Onion, Chopped
- 2 ribs Celery, Chopped
- 1/2 pound Mushrooms, Sliced
- 2 tablespoons Italians Seasoning ( If available you could use fresh basil, rosemary, oregano and thyme instead)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Pepper or To Taste
- 58 ounces Canned Tomatoes, Diced
- 6 ounces Tomato Paste
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 13 ounces Canned In Water Whole Artichoke Hearts, Chopped
- 1 pound Cooked Pasta Al Dente
- Parmesan Cheese For Garnish (optional)
- Add olive oil, onions, celery and mushrooms to a deep pot or saute pan.
- Saute over medium high heat until onions just start to caramelize.
- Add Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, mix well and allow the Italian seasoning to become fragrant about 1 minute.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste and minced garlic.
- Cover and simmer on low for at least 15 minutes.
- Add chopped artichoke hearts and stir well.
- Serve over cooked pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.