Heat oil over medium heat add meat, onion, garlic, oregano, chili powder and cumin. Cook until meat is cooked through.
On a separate burner cook poblano chili directly over the flame charring all sides. This could also be done over a grill if gas flame isn't available. Set chili in a bowl and cover for 10 minutes.
Peel skin off of chili under cold running water.
Remove seeds and dice.
Add cooked and drained beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, water,salt and poblanos. Also add jalapeno if adding for heat.Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook a minimum of 1 1/2 hours or all day is even better over low heat or in a crock pot. If cooking for the day add an extra cup of liquid.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: a minimum of 1 1/2 hours or all day on low
- 1 1/2 pounds Meat, (Hamburger, Sirloin Steak Or Chicken)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 whole Onion, Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- 3 tablespoon Chili Powder (I use a mix of different powders found in the bulk food section)
- 1 tablespoon Cumin Powder
- 57 ounces Canned Tomatoes, Diced
- 6 ounce Can Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Water or Stock ( chicken or beef dependent on meat used)
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1 or 2 Pablano Chili, Roasted and Diced
- 1 whole Jalapeno, Diced (optional but best for a spicy chili)
- 3/4 pound Black Beans Dried, Soaked and Cooked, Drained, Please See top Of Post For Instructions
- 3/4 pound Red Kidney Beans Dried Soaked and Cooked, Drained,Use link for instructions at top of black beans and rice post
Place oil, meat, onion and seasoning in a large pot over medium heat. Saute until meat is cooked through and the seasoning has become aromatic. ( If using a crock pot at this time deglaze pan with water or stock, add an extra cup of liquid and add the meat mixture and the rest of the ingredients to the crock pot over low heat, cook a minimum of 8 hours.) Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, water/stock,poblano pepper, and jalapeno ( if adding for heat).Cover and bring to a simmer. Turn to low and cook a minimum of 1 1/2 hours on the stove top, the longer it cooks the better it taste!