Boccone Dolce translates from Italian as "sweet mouth fulls." I love how the meringue is crunchy with soft billowy whip cream topped with sweet strawberries and let us not forget the layer of luscious chocolate that pulls all of these flavors together. There is nothing quite like it. This is a Easter tradition in our house. A definite must make cake before you die!
I will never forget the first time I had a glimpse of this cake when I was about 7-8 years old over at my best friends house, her mother Marie would make this for special occasions. I remember how elegant the cake had looked and the first time I had seen it. I'll never forget the first time I was able to taste this sweet mouthful. The crunch of the meringue with the chocolate, the creamy whip cream and sweet strawberries from that moment on I was hooked!
This recipe is best assembled the same day it is eaten, however the meringue covered in chocolate can be made 1 day in advance.
3 layers of cooked Meringue .
Heat a 1/2 cup heavy cream over medium low heat just until hot and a few bubbles around the edge form, remove from heat. Add 12 ounces of good quality chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts.
Spread chocolate over all 3 layers of meringue.
Mix 3lbs sliced strawberries with 2-3 tablespoons of sugar or to taste. (I have had plenty of strawberries not requiring sugar but some that need more please taste your berries.)
Top meringue and chocolate with 1/3 sweetened whip cream. (See Recipe Below I forgot Pictures).
Add 1/3 of the strawberry mixture.
Repeat with remaining 2 layers of meringue. Ending with strawberries.
Any remaining chocolate can be drizzled over the top or onto the plates.
Boccone Dolce Recipe
Boccone Dolce RecipePrep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT0M
Total time: PT20M
Yield: 14 Servings
- 1 recipe Gluten Free Meringue Baked In 3 (8"-9") Circles
For Chocolate Ganache:
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 12 ounces Chocolate, Good Quality
- 3 pounds Strawberries, Stems Removed and Sliced
- 3 tablespoons Sugar Or To Taste
For Whip Cream:
- 2 1/2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream, Cold
- 1/4 cup Sugar Or To Taste
- 3 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- This cake is best assembled the same day as eaten however the meringue and ganache Step 1 can be made a day in advanced.
- For Chocolate Ganache: Heat whip cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until hot and just a few bubbles start to form around the edge. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted.
- For Strawberry Layer: Combined strawberries and sugar. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- For Whip Cream Layer: Combined heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla in a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat over medium high until whip cream is light and fluffy. Be careful not to over mix the whip cream or you will have butter.
- For Assembly: Take the baked meringue. Spread each meringue layer with 1/4 of the chocolate mixture and spread to the edge leaving about 1/2" space around the edge. Repeat with the other 2 meringue shells.
- Place 1/3 of the whip cream mixture over the chocolate mixture top whipped cream mixture with 1/3 of the berries. Place meringue shell over the top of strawberries and repeat step 2.
- Finish the cake with whip cream, strawberries, and drizzle remaining chocolate over the top or on to the plates.