This is a favorite in our house! Ok I guess most of the recipes I share with you are favorites, I guess that's why I share.It's a healthier version of a comfort food classic. I leave out the cream and add swiss chard. I don't know what my kids would think if I made it any other way! I like the swiss chard because the flavor is rather mild compared to other greens and remember I have that over abundance kicking in my back yard, even if I didn't I will fill you in on my secret..There is no way I would leave the swiss chard out it just adds yumminess and makes it super filling. Soup it's what I've been making!
Add chicken stock, carrots and celery to a large stock pot and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook until carrots are tender about 20 minutes. Add chopped chicken.
In a medium mixing bowl combine whole wheat pastry flour, unbleached all-purpose flour, baking powder, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
Make a well in the center of the flour and add egg. Mix the flour and egg until egg is fully combined.
Add milk and stir until fully combined and dough pulls together.
If the dough looks dry like this continue to add milk 1 tablespoon until dough pulls together and is moist.
Drop by cookie scoop or tablespoon into simmering soup. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
All the dumplings should have risen to the top and be firm.
Add chopped swiss chard and stir to wilt.
Serve with a garnish of parmesan and enjoy.
Chicken And Dumplings With Swiss Chard
Chicken And Dumplings With Swiss Chard. A lightened version of a family classic.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT45M
Total time: PT55M
Yield: 5 Servings
- 8 cups Chicken Stock
- 6 whole Carrots, Sliced
- 4 stalks Celery, Sliced
- 1/2 whole Cooked Chicken, De-boned and Chopped
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Or All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 whole Egg
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 large bunch Rainbow Swiss Chard, Chopped
- Additional Parmesan For Garnish
- In a large stock pot add chicken stock, carrots and celery. Bring to a simmer turn heat to low and cover until carrots are tender about 20 minutes. Add chicken.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add flour, baking powder, parmesan cheese, sea salt and pepper. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture add the egg and stir until egg is fully combined. Slowly add milk until dough pulls together and is moist. If dough is still dry continue to add additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time until dough pulls together.
- Drop dough into simmering stock by tablespoon size balls or by using a small cookie scoop. Cover soup and simmer on low for 20 minutes or until dumplings have risen to the top and are firm.
- Add chopped swiss chard and stir into soup until swiss chard wilts.
- Serve garnished with additional parmesan cheese.