Warning! Stay away from the screen...This recipe is guaranteed to please all those needs and cravings we have for cookie dough and ice cream! The vanilla ice cream is deliciously smooth and the cookie dough, well do I need to say more? I think it speaks for it's self. Oh sweet deliciousness! The ice cream in the picture was only taken after 2 hours in the freezer, so it melted a bit quicker then I would have wished. But not one soul in our house was willing to go with out cookie dough ice cream for dessert. For a nice hard scoop of ice cream refrigerate for at least 5 hours. Now go, go now and get to making this... Then hide the ice cream maker because it might be hard to keep from making more!
Heat cream and whole milk in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
Mix egg yolks and sugar. Yes I took the pic before I added the sugar..Sorry I failed..
Pour 1/4 cup of the simmering cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture while stirring well to keep the egg yolks from scrambling. Continue to add 1/4 cup cream mixture while stirring until a total of 2 cups cream has been added.
While stirring add the egg yolk/cream mixture back into the cream in the sauce pan. Continue to stir until cream mixture returns to a simmer. Cook for about 2 minutes until slightly thickened and remove from heat.
Place cream mixture into a heat safe container and stir in vanilla. Place container in the refrigerator and refrigerate until cool or place in the freezer for about 1-1 1/2 hours until cold but not frozen. (The freezer was my option because who has time to wait for cream to cool?)
In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat butter, sea salt, brown sugar, and agave syrup or additional brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Once light and fluffy add vanilla and beat until incorporated.
Add flour and beat until incorporated.
Add cream and beat until smooth and creamy.
Add chocolate chips into the dough and stir until well incorporated. At this point you will be tempted to take a spoonful or two.. Go ahead taste a little..Just make sure to save some for the ice cream.
Make cookie dough into a log using plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
I sliced my cookie dough log in half and then cut into bite size chunks.
Place cold cream mixture into ice cream maker according to manufactures instructions and process for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes add cookie dough pieces to the ice cream and process another 5 minutes. Add ice cream mixture to a freezer safe container. I like using an old yogurt container, they seem to hold up well to scooping and don't break. Freeze ice cream for at least 2 hours. For a nice hard ice cream good for cones freeze for a minimum of 5 hours.
Scoop and enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream From Scratch RecipePrep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 5 hours 25 minutes
Yield: 1 1/2 Quarts
- For Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 4 whole Egg Yolks
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- For Cookie Dough Pieces
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Agave Nectar or 1 additional tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2/3 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or All-Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons Heavy Cream Or Greek Yogurt
- 2/3 cup Chocolate Chips
- For Vanilla Ice Cream: In a large saucepan add cream and milk. Heat over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- In heat safe container whisk egg yolks and sugar together. Stir in 1/4 cup cream mixture into the egg mixture while stirring. Repeat adding 1/4 cup cream mixture and stirring until a total of 2 cups cream mixture has been added.
- Add cream/egg mixture back into the cream mixture. Return to medium heat. While stirring return to a simmer. Simmer for about 2 minutes until slightly thickened and remove from heat.
- Place cooked cream mixture into a heat safe container and stir in vanilla. Place mixture into the refrigerator until cold or place into the freezer for 1- 1 1/2 hours until cold. If using freezer make sure not to freeze.
- For Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pieces: Place butter, sea salt, brown sugar and agave nectar into a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat until well incorporated. Add flour and beat until well incorporated, mixture will be dry. Add cream and beat until smooth and creamy. Add chocolate chips and stir by hand until well incorporated.
- On a large piece of plastic wrap place cookie dough and form into a long log. Wrap log in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use and cold.
- When ready to use slice cookie dough log in half and then slice in small bite size pieces.
- For Assembly: Place cold cream mixture into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's directions. Process for 15 minutes. Drop cookie dough pieces into the ice cream mixture and process for another 5 minutes.
- Place finished ice cream mixture into a freezer safe container. (I prefer a large plastic yogurt container with a lid, they seem not to break when scooping.) Freeze ice cream for a minimum of 2 hours. For a nice hard ice cream freeze for 5 hours.
- Scoop and enjoy!