First off sorry about the picture. On this particular night dinner was done around 7P.M. and the sun had already set, leaving me less then happy with the photos. Inside food photography's hard with out special lighting.
But on another note dinner was AMAZING and super healthy too! What more can you ask for in a dish? Lean protein paired with Kale which by the way is a super food and taste amazing cooked with the clams.
We paired this with a little toasted baguette for soaking up the broth at the bottom of the bowl and a nice glass of wine. The best part this meal is done in 25 minutes (other then the soaking of the clams)! Totally gourmet weeknight meal!
This dish came together as a duel effort. We where aiming for a quick weeknight dinner with the least amount of dishes possible and the middle child had been begging for clams for weeks, I know my kids aren't quite typical but my secret was consistently offering whatever my husband and I ate. I never once offered the kids the option of a special meal and the kids will eat close to anything as long as it taste's good. The only down side to this is if the food doesn't taste good the kids have no problem saying so and I have been left on a few occasions trying to cover up what I could barely eat myself when we have been over to someones house to eat.
Over cooked, under seasoned food is hard for the palate.
Fill a large bowl with cold fresh water and add 4 tablespoons sea salt. Discard any opened clams and mussels that won't shut when pressed together. Add clams and mussels allow to sit for 20 minutes to remove any sand and debris from the clams. Rinse well under cold water to remove sediment from the bottom of the bowl.
In a large stock pot add butter and olive oil and heat over medium-high heat until butter melts. Add onion and saute until caramelized. Add fresh ginger, garlic and rosemary.
Zest 1 lemon. Stir until fragrant.
Stir in white wine.
Add Sriracha Sauce, salt and pepper, stir. Bring to a simmer.
Add washed and drained mussels and clams.
Add kale and stir. Cover pot with a lid. After 5 minutes stir pot and recover. Cook another 5-10 minutes until mussels and clams open and kale is tender. Discard any unopened mussels and clams.
Gingered Mussels And Clams With Kale
Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT20M
Total time: PT30M
To Prep Mussels And Clams
- 1 pound Mussels
- 2 1/2 pounds Clams
- 4 tablespoons Sea Salt
- 10 cups Fresh Water, Cold
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 whole Onion, Cut In Half And Sliced Thin
- 5 cloves Garlic, Roughly Chopped
- 3 teaspoons Fresh Ginger, Peeled And Chopped Fine
- 1 whole Lemon, Zested
- 1 sprig Rosemary, Stem Removed And Chopped
- 2 cups White Wine
- 3 teaspoons Sriracha Sauce Or To Taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper.
- 2 bunches Kale, Chopped (Large)
- In a large bowl add mussels, clams, 4 tablespoons of sea salt and 10 cups fresh water. Set aside and allow mussels to soak for 20 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to remove debris. Set aside.
- In a large pot add olive oil and butter. Heat over medium-high heat until oil is hot and butter is melted. Add the onion and saute until caramelized. Add the garlic, ginger, rosemary and lemon zest. Stir until fragrant. Stir in white wine, sriracha sauce, sea salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer. Add washed and drained mussels and clams. Add kale and stir. Cover pot with lid.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Stir pot again and recover.
- Cook an additional 5-10 minutes until mussels and clams open and kale is tender.
- Discard any unopened clams.