Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Wednesday, September 26, 2012
I had made these last Thursday because they are always a hit in our house, I love how easy they are to make. An easy dinner for a busy weeknight or when I need to feed the Hubby and his friends when their watching football. No slaving here!
I have met a few people who detest Sloppy Joes. However I have yet to have a chance to make them try these delicious babies! I have yet to understand what's not to like about ground hamburger with all sorts of goodies smothered with cheese over top on a toasted bun but if I figure it out I'll let you know! This recipe taste nothing like Manwich. Just for the record my kids will picket if I serve the Manwich.
This recipe could be totally gluten free if using gluten free hambuger buns or large dinner rolls.
Saute onions in olive oil until starting to caramelize over medium-high heat. Add hamburger and garlic and cook until hamburger is cooked through.
Add pepper, tomatoes, quick oats, chili powder, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, sea salt, smoked paprika, cumin, black pepper and sugar stir well. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes until mixture has thickened and become saucy. Serve over toasted hamburger buns or large crusty dinner rolls with cheese (optional).
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Prep time: PT5M
Cook time: PT25M
Total time: PT30M
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 whole Large Onion, Diced
- 1 1/2 pounds Hamburger
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 whole Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced
- 28 ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes With Juice
- 4 tablespoons Quick Oats
- 2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Smoke Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 5 whole Hamburger Buns or Large Crusty Dinner Rolls, Toasted (For Gluten Free Use Gluten Free Buns)
- 2 cups Grated Cheese, Optional
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until caramelized. Add hamburger and fresh garlic, cook until hamburger is cooked through.
- Add bell pepper, tomatoes, quick oats, chili powder, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, sea salt, smoked paprika, cumin, pepper and sugar. Stir well and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes or until mixture has thickened and become saucy.
- Serve over toasted buns topped with cheese (optional).