There's nothing quite like Crock-Pot Chicken And Mushroom Gravy With Tarragon over the top of garlic mashed potatoes, Eggs Noodles, Skinny Mashed Cauliflower or even Skinny Mashed Yams.
There's just something so comforting about gravy with fork tender pulled chicken, mushrooms and tarragon.
I love that I can make this in a crock-pot and forget it for the next 6-8 hours.
I love the smell the tarragon imparts as it cooks and my husbands face as he walks through the door and is wafted by dinner.
The colors aren't amazing unless you make this with the Skinny Mashed Yams (which is to die for if your a yam lover) but I promise the flavor is amazing!
This recipe was shared over at The Weekend Potluck.
I have 2 options for thickeners the first is flour which is a little more time consuming and the second is cornstarch which would make this gluten free if using gf cornstarch.
If using flour melt butter in a medium sized saucepan and add flour. Use a whisk and stir until flour starts to bubble and cook.
(If using cornstarch by pass this step and slowly pour chicken stock into cornstarch while whisking to avoid lumps until all the chicken stock has been added. Pour over the top of the chicken and mushrooms. )
Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and cook until mixture starts to thicken about 30 seconds. Repeat using another half cup chicken broth. Repeat until all 3 1/2 cups chicken stock have been stirred in.
At this point you should have a velvety gravy. Remove from heat.
Add chicken breast, mushrooms, sea salt, garlic powder, tarragon and garlic cloves, Pour gravy mixture over the top. Stir until combined.
Cover and cook for 6-8 hours until chicken is fork tender and shreds easily using 2 forks. Serve over the top of your favorite side.
Crock-Pot Chicken And Mushroom Gravy With Tarragon
Crock-Pot Chicken And Mushroom Gravy With TarragonPrep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 hours
Yield: 5-6 servings
- 1/3 cup Butter (Can omit if using cornstarch)
- 1/3 cup Flour or 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 3 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 4 whole Chicken Breast, Boneless and Skinless
- 8 ounces Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt Or To Taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper Or To Taste
- 3/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tarragon
- 6 cloves Fresh Garlic
- For Serving: Mashed Potatoes, Egg Noodles, Skinny Mashed Cauliflower, Skinny Mashed Yams or any other desired side.
- If using cornstarch skip the next step and mix chicken broth slowly with cornstarch whisking until smooth.
- If using flour: in a medium sized saucepan melt butter. Add flour and whisk until flour starts to bubble and cook. Whisk in chicken broth 1/2 cup at a time and cook until mixture starts to thicken. Repeat 1/2 cup at a time until all chicken stock has been added and mixture is velvety smooth. Remove from heat.
- Combine all ingredients including broth mixture in a crock-pot and cook covered on high for 6-8 hours.
- Use 2 forks and shred chicken into bite size pieces.
- Serve over the top of your favorite side.