Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Friday, March 1, 2013
Chewy Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Chewy Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies elicit fond memories of Granny's kitchen growing up. Chocolate Chip and Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies were always a staple in our house.
She and my Granddad were kind enough to spend their retirement raising me with morals and values they had accumulated over the decades. They never once complained of raising me but instilled me with lessons I would have never learned else where.
Granny was a cooking goddess in her 70's, very few things in our house were ever prepackaged and most days were spent in the kitchen fixing breakfast, lunch, dinner and a dessert from scratch. One of the few premade items to grace our dinner table would be the occasional take and bake pizza and as a special treat at lunch time we enjoyed the occasional hamburger from Mc Donald's but it was defiantly a treat and few and far between.
As the winner of this month's Shine Supper Club for my Moist Chocolate Cake with Ganache Frosting From Scratch I was asked who I would invite to my ideal dinner party living or dead and I knew in that moment I would have loved just one more day with them. To spend time in the kitchen learning all my favorite recipes she would make for me as a child. To be able to jot down the wild stories my Granddad would tell of Caddying for Al Capone as a young man growing up in Cicero, Ill. and all the memories my grandmother had shared as I was too young to remember the exact details of the stories but rather just a gist.
Oh how much I would give for them to meet Colt and the kids and to be able to see how well I turned out.
Just for one more moment to say Thank You for being such an inspiration for who I am today!
Shall we get to the cookies?
Cream softened butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth and creamy.
Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well blended. Scrape down the sides of bowl.
Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda and sea salt. Beat until well combine. Scrape down sides of bowl.
Add flour, oats, and raisins. Mix on low until well blended.
Scoop cookies onto a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet using a standard sized cookie scoop or rounded tablespoon.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes (in my oven the 8 minute mark is perfect) until lightly brown around the edges. Cookies will have little pin holes but will be slightly under set. When you touch the top of the cookie will still be slightly soft, I like to think of it like a medium done steak when you touch the top it still gives a little but has some firmness.
Allow cookies to cool for 3 minutes on baking sheet to finish setting.
Remove cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Store cookies in a air tight container.
Chewy Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Chewy Spiced Oatmeal Raisin CookiesPrep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT8M
Total time: PT20M
Yield: 48 cookies
- 1 cup Butter, Softened
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 whole Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg, Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Ginger, Ground
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 3 1/4 cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 cup Nuts, Chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla beat for 1 minute and scrape down the sides of bowl.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda and sea salt. Mix until thoroughly combined. Scrape sides of bowl.
- Add flour, oats, raisins and nuts (if using). Mix on low speed until thoroughly combined, scraping the sides of bowl as needed.
- Scoop oatmeal cookie dough onto lined cookie sheet using a standard sized cookie scoop or rounded tablespoon.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes.
- Move cookies to a cooling rack.
- Store Chewy Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies in a airtight container