The suns out today and it's starting to look a bit like spring with the crocus's popping up their pretty little heads next to our drive way.
It's just a matter of time and the tulips and daffodils will be next.
I can't wait!
I couldn't think of a better way to help the sunshine peek through then with a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Crumb Topping.
This pie speaks Colt's love language, it goes straight to his heart.
It reminds him of childhood at his Grandma's house and makes him a little giddy!
He deserved every moment of sheer enjoyment! He's such an amazing man. He works hard and is always willing to lend a hand whether it is around the house or with the blog.
He was even kind enough to help take the picture above after he returned from work.
That man defiantly earns his pie!
Colts other all time favorites are Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (for when I'm not in the mood to make a pie crust) and Banana Cream Pie.
They keep my husband happy...
Combine strawberries and rhubarb in a large bowl.
Add sugar, flour, cinnamon and vanilla. Stir together until well incorporated.
Fill 1 9" whole uncooked and crimped pie shell with filling.
In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or using fingers combine brown sugar, flour and sea salt, until blended. Add butter and vanilla and beat on medium-low speed or smashing butter with finger until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Top pie with crumb mixture.
I'm ready for the oven!
Place an old cookie sheet or a cookie sheet lined with parchment on shelf under pie in oven to catch drips.
Bake on center shelf in a 375 degree oven until the juice's peeking through the pie are bubbly and the pie is light brown about 55 minutes- 1 hour 10 minutes.
(If edges of pie are browning too quickly use aluminum foil to cover edges of pie crust.)
This pie is wonderful alone.
But our favorite is a la mode, slightly warm.
Colt complained every last bite of this slice he had to
enjoy eat before dinner.
It was his due punishment after a long hard day!
He barely even shared a small taste..
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Crumb Topping
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Crumb Topping RecipePrep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT1H10M
Total time: PT1H30M
Yield: 1 Pie
- 1 whole 9" Uncooked Pie Shell Crimped Around Edge, Cold
For Pie Filling:
- 3 cups Rhubarb, Sliced (About 4 thin stalks)
- 2 cups Strawberries, Sliced
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
For Crumb Topping:
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/3 cup Cold Butter, Cut Into Cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine rhubarb, strawberries, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon and vanilla. Stir until well incorporated.
- Pour rhubarb /strawberry mixture into uncooked pie shell.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a large bowl combine brown sugar, flour and sea salt. Add butter and vanilla. Using a mixer mix on medium low speed or with fingers mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Top pie evenly with crumb mixture.
- Place an old cookie sheet lined with parchment paper on lower rack in oven (to catch drips). Place pie on center rack in oven and bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes. Pie is done when juice's are bubbly and pie is light brown. If crust starts to over brown cover edges with foil.
- Allow pie to cool until warm.
- Enjoy plain or with ice cream.