I've been meaning to redo the pictures for Baked Beans From Scratch for the last 3 years but it never seemed to work out whenever I made them, so this last weekend Colt snapped a photo before they were devoured.
If you've never made Baked Beans they are super easy to make and worth the effort, the flavors are amazing, and so much better then anything you might find in a can!
Absolutely perfect for your next barbecue!
I made these for Mothers Day to bring to a friends house. With Memorial Day fast approaching and then Fourth Of July I thought you might need a side dish for your weekend BBQ's..These will defiantly be on our menu.
A little sweet and a little tangy with a nice smokey bacon flavor. Oh and did I mention other then cooking time they are definitely easy to make!
Are you looking for a few other recipes for your holiday weekend make sure to check out Peanut Butter Fudge Pie, Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, Easy Crock-pot Pulled Chicken With Homemade BBQ Sauce (In case you aren't in the mood to BBQ), Tangy Cilantro Jalapeno Lime Coleslaw, and you definitely can't forget Pink Grapefruit Lime Margaritas!
In a large pot add 5 slices Diced Bacon, 1/2 whole Diced Large Onion and 2 cloves Minced Garlic. Saute until bacon is starting to brown and onion is caramelized. This is a really important step as the caramelized onions add a lot of flavor to the Baked Beans.
Add 1 pound Cooked Beans, 3 cups Water or Broth, 1 cup Ketchup, 1/3 cup Brown Sugar, 2 tablespoons Molasses, 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika, 1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard, 1/2 teaspoon Salt and 1/2 teaspoon Granulated Garlic.
Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low. Stir as needed.
Cook for 3-4 hours until beans are thickened. Alternatively everything can go into a crock-pot once bacon and onions are browned and cooked on low for 6-8 hours.
By far my all time favorite Baked Beans From Scratch! I know your family will love them as much as we do!
Baked Beans From Scratch
An easy to make recipe for Baked Beans from Scratch! You'll never purchase canned baked beans again!Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT4H
Total time: PT4H15M
Yield: 8-12 People
- 5 slices Bacon, Diced Fine
- 1/2 whole Large Onion, Diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 pound Dried Great Northern Beans, Soaked Overnight and Cooked In Water Until Tender.
- 3 cups Water, Chicken Or Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar Or To Taste
- 2 tablespoons Molasses
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- In a large pot add bacon, onion and garlic. Saute over medium heat until bacon is brown and onion has caramelized.
- Add all remaining ingredients to pan and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 3-4 hours until beans are thickened. Stir as needed.
- Alternatively after onions and bacon are cooked everything can be added to the crock-pot and cooked on low for 6-8 hours.