I made these while ago and delayed posting...
Why you ask?
Well you see before I could even dust them with powdered a piece was cut into and then two pieces went missing the minute they were removed from the pan.
I don't have a clue who would have done this...
So I snapped a picture and then set a few aside to take a picture the next day, but the next day for the lemon bars would never come.
They must have been eaten by the dog when no one was looking, right?
Where else would they go?
Where else would they go?
So I thought I would remake them since they survived less the 12 hours in our house but that day hasn't arrived yet. So I threw in the towel and decided you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.
These are amazing and even loved by my non lemon loving husband!
Not in the mood for Lemon? Make sure to check out Key Lime Cheesecake Bars With Almond Cookie Crust! There always a hit!
If you are looking for a Gluten Free Lemon Bars make sure to check out my wonderful friend Rachelle's post at Gluten Free Cooking And Baking Recipes By Rachelle. They look delicious!
Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish and line with parchment, if you like to remove your bars for a nice clean squares.
Grease parchment with more butter and set aside.
Chop almonds fine or process in a food processor. Add flour, powdered sugar and sea salt. Pulse 2-3 times or until combined. If mixing by hand stir until combined.
Add butter and pulse until crumbly and butter is in very small pieces. If making by hand use a pastry cutter until butter is in very small pea sized pieces.
Add crust to buttered pan.
Use your hand to press dough evenly.
Bake crust in a 325 degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
Meanwhile combine eggs plus egg yolks, sugar, flour and lemon zest. Stir until smooth.
Combine water and lemon juice and slowly stir in to flour/egg mixture.
Mmmm.. Lemony goodness!
Pour lemon filling over the top of crust and bake for 30-35 minutes in 300 degree oven until filling is set.
Let Creamy Lemon Bars cool completely before removing from pan. Once cool dust with powdered sugar and cut into desired sized squares.
Creamy Lemon Bars
Creamy Lemon Bars With Almond Cookie CrustPrep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT55M
Total time: PT1H15M
Yield: 20 servings
For Almond Cookie Crust:
- 1/3 cup Almonds
- 1 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 7 tablespoons Cold Butter, Cut Into 1 Tablespoon Sized Chunks
For Creamy Lemon Filling
- 4 whole Eggs
- 2 whole Egg Yolks
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or All-Purpose
- 3/4 teaspoons Lemon Zest, Preferably From Organic Lemons
- 2 tablespoons Water (For tarter bars use Lemon Juice.)
- 3/4 cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar, Sifted For Dusting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Line with parchment and grease parchment. Set aside.
- For Crust: Place almonds in a food process and process until fine. Alternatively chop almonds finely.
- Add flour, powdered sugar and a pinch of sea salt to almonds. Pulse or mix until combined.
- Add butter to food processor and pulse until mixture becomes crumbly but small bits of butter are visible. Alternatively you can add butter and use a pastry cutter to cut butter into flour mixture until butter is in very small fine pieces.
- Press dough into greased and lined pan. Use palm of hand to spread crust evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is lightly golden brown.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- For Creamy Lemon Filling: Combine eggs, egg yolks, flour and lemon zest. Stir until well combined.
- Slowly stir in water and lemon juice. Stir until combined.
- Pour lemon filling over crust and bake for 30-35 minutes until filling is set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Remove creamy lemon bars from pan and dust with powdered sugar. Cut to desired size and enjoy!