Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Thursday, June 13, 2013
Mexican Sloppy Joes
An easy to make weeknight favorite that's kid friendly. Mexican Sloppy Joes will quickly become a favorite.
I have a little soft spot for sloppy joes.
Alright you caught me and Mexican food too!
These are amazing with taco seasoned ground beef mixed with black beans topped on a toasted bun with my famous Pico De Gallo and avocado.
Need I say more?
I really couldn't decide whether to call these Mexican Sloppy Joes or Tex/Mex Sloppy Joes so I just went with the first.
These are quick, cheap, easy and well sloppy.
I love quick dinner ideas the kids devour and are healthy too.
Add olive oil, onion and ground beef to pan. Add cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, sea salt and garlic powder. Cook over medium-high heat until meat is brown.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, black beans oatmeal and water. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until mixture has thickened.
Mean while make some Pico De Gallo and enjoy a few bites while the mixture finishes cooking..
(This is even better when made ahead of time.)
Top toasted Hamburger Buns with hamburger/black bean mixture and top with Pico De Gallo, cheese and sliced avocado. Even a little sour cream or greek yogurt would be amazing.
Enjoy and don't worry about the mess, that's the fun of Sloppy Joes!
Mexican Sloppy Joes
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Mexican Or Tex-Mex Sloppy JoesPrep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT20M
Total time: PT30M
Yield: 5 servings
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 whole Large Onion, Diced
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt Or To Taste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 14.5 ounce Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 15 ounce Canned Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Quick Cooking Oats
- 5 whole Hamburger Buns, Toasted
- 1 recipe Pico De Gallo
- Desired Condiments: Avocado, Cheese, Sour Cream, Salsa and any other desired toppings.
- Add olive oil, hamburger, onion, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, sea salt and garlic powder to a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until hamburger is brown.
- Add tomatoes, black beans, tomato paste, water and quick oats.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until mixture has thickened.
- Top toasted buns with hamburger/black bean mixture, pico de gallo and desired condiments.
Are you looking for other recipes? Make sure to check out: