Mud and Hens Bars are a delicious must make cookie bar. So good!
Have you had mud and hen bars before?
If not these need to go onto your list of must make cookies asap!
Chocolate, marshmallows and a brown sugar meringue need I say more?
Lorna calls them shamores because she wanted some more...lol.. I thought it was rather cute!
These were super easy to make and gone faster than I could take a picture.
I actually made two pans of these because the first pan was gone before I could take a picture. The three little squares in the picture above was all that was left of the little mouthfuls of deliciousness, out of the second pan.
Yes these are that good and a perfect dessert for any occasion.
Looking for another delicious cookie bar recipe make sure to check out Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownie Bars aka Brown Butter Brookies.
Butter a 9x13 pan, line with parchment and butter parchment paper.
Beat butter, sugar and brown sugar until creamy.
Add 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks, vanilla, baking powder and sea salt. Beat until smooth and creamy.
Add flour and mix on low until combined scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
Smooth dough into bottom of greased pan.
Sprinkle chocolate chips and marshmallows evenly across the top.
Sprinkle with nuts and press firmly across the top.
Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add brown sugar and mix or fold on low speed until fully incorporated.
Spread brown sugar meringue topping evenly over the top.
Yummiliciousness! Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Allow to cool before cutting into squares.
Now go get to baking!
Mud and Hen Bars
Mud And Hen BarsPrep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT30M
Total time: PT45M
- 1/2 cup Butter, Room Temperature, Plus more for greasing
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 whole Egg
- 2 whole Egg Yolks
- 1 teaspoon Real Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Or All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Chocolate Chips (I used dark but semi-sweet works also.)
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- 1 cup Chopped Almonds Or Any Other Desired Nut (Optional)
- 2 whole Egg Whites
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9x13 baking pan, line with parchment paper and butter parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream butter, granulated and brown sugars until creamy. Add egg, both egg yolks, vanilla, baking powder and sea salt. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add flour and mix until combined scraping the sides of bowl as needed.
- Smooth dough over the bottom of parchment lined pan.
- Top dough with chocolate chips, marshmallows and nuts if using. Press evenly.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. On low speed or by hand mix in brown sugar. Spread mixture evenly over the top of chocolate chips, marshmallows and nuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Allow bars to cool completely before cutting to desired size.