This pie crust recipe came about after heading to the grocery store and picking up everything to make a Very Berry Pie, came home and I discovered I had no shortening to make my traditional Flaky Pie Crust.
What to do, what to do..
Then I debated making an all butter crust but my luck in the past hasn't been so lucky with that one and then I remembered how deliciously flaky the crust was in the Flaky Blackberry Turnovers I adapted last year from Dori Greenspan.
It was flaky, light and shattered nicely.
So I adapted the recipe to make a double 9 inch pie crust.
Amazingly delicious and easy... Enough said!
Combine flour and sea salt in a large bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until the size of pea's. Cut in remaining 1/2 cup butter until pea sized.
Combine sour cream and sugar and set aside.
When flour butter mixture looks like this slowly drizzle in sour cream over the top while fluffing flour.
Slowly add 1 teaspoon at a time of water if needed until dough pulls together.
(This will depend on humidity and how dry the flour is.)
Divide dough in 2 and wrap tightly in plastic wrap or parchment (if you've run out of plastic wrap like me) and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
Roll dough between 2 pieces of parchment or plastic wrap until about 2 inches wider than 9" pie plate. Repeat with remaining dough.
Cook according to directions for pie.
Flaky Sour Cream Pie Crust
Flaky Sour Cream Pie CrustPrep time:PT15M
Cook time: PT0M
Total time: PT15M
Yield: 1 9 inch double crust pie shell
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 cup Butter, Cut Into Small Cubes
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2/3 cup Sour Cream
- Cold Water As Needed
- Combine flour and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup butter and use a pastry cutter to cut into flour mixture until the size of pea's.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup butter and cut into flour butter mixture until the size of pea's.
- Combine sugar and sour cream.
- Slowly drizzle sour cream mixture over flour mixture while tossing to coat evenly.
- Add water 1 teaspoon at a time if needed until dough holds together.
- Divide dough into 2 and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Roll dough between 2 pieces of parchment or plastic wrap until about 2 inches wider than 9" pie plate. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake according to directions for pie.