I knew I had to make it! I have a serious love for mint and chocolate and knew this pie would hit the spot on a hot summer day with a Oreo cookie crust, a minty layer of fudge and a creamy frozen mint layer topped with a little whipped cream and chocolate shavings for garnish.
The mint fudge wasn't part of the original recipe but was the perfect addition to this recipe.
This pie has already been requested for Thanksgiving and Christmas from my family and we can't wait to enjoy another slice!
Thanks Lizzy for a great recipe!
As for my recovery I'm slowly working on healing from the accident. I had my first appointment yesterday with the physical therapist and she explained I need to celebrate the little milestones and I won't be back to normal overnight. I really didn't believe the Doctors when they told me it was going to be a slow road to recovery. I'm rather stubborn and hard headed and was sure I was going to prove them wrong.
Little did I know how wrong I would be.
I have yet to be able to be back in the kitchen but feel blessed Colt had bought me a laptop so I can now work for short periods of time on the blog and try to keep up with all of you.
I have always found peace while I'm in the kitchen and it's been so hard not cooking for the past 2 weeks.
I really don't know when I will be able to physically be back in the kitchen but Colt and the kids have been kind enough to volunteer to cook and take pictures for the blog with my direction. We'll see how this turns out. For now I have a few recipes I had made and photographed before the accident that I will work on editing and posting as my body allows.
Crush Oreo cookies until fine crumbs.
There's just something about Oreo cookie crumbs... Mmmm..
Press Oreo cookie crumbs into the bottom of a pie pan using a measuring cup bottom to level crust and push crust up the sides of pan and into the corners.
It should look about like this. Pop this bad boy into a 350 degree oven for 5-6 minutes.
When done allow crust to cool.
In a small saucepan combine 1/2 cup whipping cream, corn syrup and brown sugar. Heat until just shy of a simmer.
Remove cream from heat and add chocolate chips and cocoa powder. Stir until chocolate is melted and fudge sauce is smooth.
Add a pinch of Sea Salt, Creme De Menthe and Cocoa De Creme.
Pour Mint Fudge Sauce into baked and cooled Oreo Cookie Crust. Place in freezer for 15 minutes while you make Creamy Mint Filling.
Whip 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream until light, fluffy and holds it shape. Being careful not to over mix or you will have butter.
Add Marshmallow Creme to mixing bowl and slowly drizzle in heavy cream while mixing on medium speed or by hand. Mix until creamy and smooth.
Ooops.. I was rather messy this day!
Slowly add Creme De Menthe and Cream De Cocoa to the Marshmallow Creme and mix until well incorporated.
Fold in Whipped Cream into Marshmallow/Creme De Menthe mixture until throughly combined and pour mixture over the chilled fudge layer and freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
It's easiest to cut if allowed to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Also if you run the knife under hot water and dry it will help slice through the pie.
Garnish with additional whipped cream, chocolate shavings or crushed Oreos.
Defiantly a family favorite!
If your looking for other favorite recipes to go along with your Grasshopper Pie make sure to try Peanut Butter Fudge Pie, Very Berry Pie and Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.
Grasshopper Pie With Oreo Cookie Crust And A Layer Of Mint Fudge
Frozen Grasshopper Pie With A Layer Of Mint Fudge and Oreo Cookie Crust.Prep time: PT30M
Cook time: PT6M
Total time: PT8H
Yield: 8-10 Servings
For Oreo Cookie Crust:
- 25 whole Oreo Cookies, Crushed Into Fine Crumbs
- 1/4 cup Butter, Melted
For Mint Fudge:
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tablespoons Corn Syrup
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 teaspoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Creme De Menthe
- 1 teaspoon Cream De Cocoa
For Mint Grasshopper Layer
- 3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 (7 ounce Jar) Marshmallow Creme
- 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup Creme De Menthe
- 2 tablespoons Creme De Cocoa
- Additional Whip Cream and Chocolate Shavings Or Crushed Oreos For Serving
- For Oreo Cookie Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl combine Oreo crumbs and butter. Mix until fully combined. Press crumb mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9" pie pan using the bottom of a metal measuring cup or spoon.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes. Cool crust.
- For Mint Fudge Layer: Combine heavy cream, corn syrup and brown sugar in small sauce pan. Mix until combined. Heat until just shy of a simmer.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate chips, cocoa powder, sea salt, creme de menthe and creme de cocoa. Mix until chocolate is melted and fudge sauce is smooth.
- Pour mint fudge sauce into Oreo cookie crust and place in freezer for 15 minutes to cool.
- For Mint Layer: In a mixing bowl beat 3/4 cup heavy cream into whipped cream until until light, fluffy and holds it shape. Remove to a small bowl and set aside.
- Place marshmallow cream in mixing bowl and slowly drizzle remaining 1/4 cup heavy cream until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly mix creme de menthe and creme de cocoa into marshmallow mixture. Mix until throughly incorporated.
- Fold whip cream into mixture. Mixture will be loose.
- Pour mint marshmallow layer over the top of mint fudge layer.
- Place in freezer for 8 hours or overnight before serving.
- To serve allow pie to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving. Cut with a knife run under hot water and dry knife before cutting.
- Garnish each slice with whip cream and chocolate shavings or crushed Oreos.