Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Monday, September 23, 2013
Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake With Caramel Icing
The weathers been windy and cold over the weekend. Calling for a Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake with Caramel Icing to help ring in Autumn.
This cake came about when Colt and I were at the kitchen store looking for little pans to make pot pies and he found this super cool bundt pan sitting on the bottom shelf shoved in the back!
Colt has really stepped in and come up with a lot of tasty ideas, helping with cooking and photography over the last few months.
I feel thankful, without him I wouldn't be able to post like I've been able to.
All of a sudden his passion for the blog is running deep and he's been telling everyone about it and I mean everyone.
No one at the grocery store knows what I do, until now...
It was my little secret.
As I was checking out the other day the checker asked what I was making with the pretty purple kale that was in my cart and I explained Sausage Kale and Potato Soup.
Then Colt says," You know she has this incredible blog."
D'oh.. Smacks head and sent Colt the why'd you tell her look..
Of course the checker says what's the name of the blog, Colt turns to look at me and I some how I spit out Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch.com.
I don't know why I get so embarrassed.
He told me in the car, I really should be proud of what I do.
I already knew what he was saying but it's a bit like having a B on a report card when you really want an A. Plus to top it off she's seen my kids in their darkest hours having melt downs going through line when they were little and me trying to sneak through line in yoga pants, my hairs a mess and no make up on.
She's even seen me shoot the kids the knock it off or life's going to suck to be you look.
I know I should be proud, the recipes are always tasty and the photo's are ok, but sometimes I worry more about what other people think than I should.
So I'm learning to feel proud, I don't have the largest blog, it's far from perfect, I have spelling errors on a regular basis that I miss but it teaches me something new almost every day, I've made a lot of friends and love all of you.
Most of all I love what I'm doing!
I feel so blessed for each and everyone of you that read the blog.
Thanks for following me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram @SerenaBakesSimplyFromScratch and over at Tasty Kitchen.
I guess I've rambled on enough for the day so on to Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake With Caramel Icing.
Cream butter and brown sugar. Until light and fluffy on medium-high speed. About 2 minutes.
Add eggs one at a time to mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Scraping the sides of bowl as needed.
Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, pumpkin puree, greek yogurt and milk. Mix on medium speed until thoroughly combined.
Make sure to scrape the sides of bowl.
Add flour and mix on low speed until just combined, do not over mix.
Scrape the sides of bowl to make sure the batters mixed well.
Fill a 12-14 cup bundt pan (greased with butter) with batter. If your bundt pans smaller then that you'll have to make a few mini cakes with the leftover batter. I didn't realize the new pan was only a 10 cup until I was done making my batter, but the kids loved having a few mini cakes for dessert.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool cake on a wire rake for 25 minutes before inverting onto wire rack to finish cooling.
The cake is fabulous just plain with a little powdered sugar dusted over the top but if your looking to kick it up a notch keep read;)
Add 4 ounces softened Cream Cheese, 1/2 cup Caramel Sauce. Beat until cream cheese is smooth and all lumps are removed.
Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until Caramel Icing is desired drizzling consistency.
Drizzle Caramel Icing over cooled Pumpkin Spice Cake.
Serve plain or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake With Caramel Icing
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake With Caramel Cream Cheese Icing.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT55M
Total time: PT1H15M
Yield: 10 Servings
For Pumpkin Spice Cake:
- 1 cup Softened Butter, Plus More For Greasing Pan
- 2 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 4 whole Eggs
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 15 ounce Canned Pumpkin Puree Or 2 cups Roasted Pumpkin Puree
- 2/3 cup Greek Yogurt Or Sour Cream
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
For Caramel Icing:
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1/2 cup Caramel Sauce
- 1/4 cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-14 cup Bundt pan with butter. Set aside.
- Beat butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy with whisk attachment about 2-3 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until well incorporated. Scrape sides of bowl between each addition.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, pumpkin puree, greek yogurt and milk. Mix on medium speed until thoroughly combined. Scrape sides of bowl.
- Add all of the flour and mix on low speed just until combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour into prepared Bundt pan and bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 25 minutes on a wire rack before inverting pan upside down and removing pan.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- To make Caramel Icing: Combine cream cheese and caramel sauce. Beat until smooth and lump free.
- Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired drizzling consistency is reach.
- When Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake is cooled drizzle with Caramel Icing.
- Serve plain or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.