Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Tuesday, January 14, 2014
Crock Pot Beef Vegetable Barley Soup
Another souper easy soup..
Get it souper... Ha..Ha.. I crack myself up...
I've been falling in love with my crock pot these last few months and this Beef Barley soup is another winner, winner beef dinner.
Alright I better stop with my corny jokes..
The weather's still showing no signs of spring so I'm sticking to comfort food until I can climb out of hibernation.
Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy..
Sunshine in my eyes makes me cry..
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely..
I'm pretty sure I really miss the sunshine...
Sorry about that I'm totally having sunshine withdrawals and the short days leaves me a limited amount of time to take decent looking photos of food.
I just keep telling myself 2 more months and we will hopefully be back to 60 degrees days on occasion. I'm hopeful my back will finally be closer to normal so I can be up to my elbows in dirt planting lettuce, broccoli, sweet peas and lots of zucchini.
Oh how I miss thee....
I used fresh thyme and rosemary because I happened to have some left over from Christmas but dried would work equally well.
Just to note I did use high quality Organic Beef Broth..
I know some of you might be disappointed in my choice but since the car accident a lot of things have had to give and most of it's come down to how much time I can spend on my feet.
Colt's been doing a lot of the cooking for the last 6 months with some guidance so we've had to cut a few corners here and there for both of our sanities.
But if you happen to have homemade beef stock by all means add it!
If not I can post a recipe at a later date or send you rough directions for how I make mine.
Add onion, beef broth, water, canned tomatoes, carrots, celery, barley, garlic powder, stew meat, thyme, rosemary and salt. Set crock pot to high for 6 hours or low for 8-10 hours. 30 minutes before serving taste soup and add salt and pepper as needed. Add peas, stir well and cook an additional 30 minutes.
Serve with crackers, rolls or these Easy Cheesy Garlic and Herb Breadsticks.
Simply divine my sweet friends.
I promise you'll love it!
Crock Pot Beef Vegetable and Barley Soup
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Crock Pot Beef Vegetable Soup and Barley Soup. An easy, healthy, delicious and satisfying meal. Recipe includes step by step photos with pictures and instructions.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT8H
Total time: PT8H10M
Yield: 6 Servings
Calories per serving: 525Ingredients
Fat per serving: 25
Fat per serving: 25
- 1/2 whole Large Onion, Diced
- 4 cups Beef Broth (Homemade or Good Quality Pre-made)
- 2 cups Water
- 14.5 ounces Diced Tomatoes
- 3 whole Large Carrots, Diced
- 4 stalks Celery, Diced
- 3/4 cup Pearl Barley
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 4 sprigs Fresh Thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Fresh or Dried Rosemary
- 1 1/2 pounds Stew Meat, Cut into Bite Size Pieces
- 1 teaspoon Salt and Pepper or To Taste
- 1 cup Frozen or Fresh Peas
- Add onion, beef broth, water, tomatoes, carrots, celery, barley, granulated garlic, thyme, rosemary and stew meat to crock pot. Stir well.
- Set crock pot to high for 6 hours or to low for 8-10 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving soup adjust salt and pepper to taste. Add frozen peas and stir well.
- Cook until peas are heated through.