I was trying to decide on something easy to make for dessert the other day and came across this Chocolate Monkey Snack Cake from Cozycakes Cottage.
I knew it was meant to be.
I had a freezer full of bagged banana's needing to be used and this recipe requires no eggs or butter.
Double high five on that because I had just run out of butter and it's super easy to make.
But most of all how could I not make Eggless Chocolate Banana Monkey Snack Cake for my monkeys?
With 3 guys (4 if you count Buddy the beagle and just for the record I totally feel I should be able to count Buddy because he is always in some kind of trouble) the house sometimes feels like living in a monkey house.
You never know when some crazy wrestling match will break out between the boys and when footballs on watch out our house becomes super loud with lots of jumping up and down, whooping and hollering.
They also seem to like to swing and hang from trees when ever possible.
At this very moment the boys are continually singing, "Did you know a cashew comes from a fruit?"
Only because they've moved on from, "What does the Fox say?"
Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow.. Sorry instant response..
Dang I thought I had finally rid my mind of that song.
If you happen to see me in the produce isle singing: did you know a cashew comes from a fruit just keep walking I'm not crazy I'm just raising boys.
This recipe was adapted from Betty Crocker and Cozycakes Country Cottage to make a large cake to feed my house of monkeys and a few other adaptations.
Mash 5 medium-large really ripe banana's.
If using a mixer mix on medium-low speed until mashed.
When my banana's become ripe I store them in the freezer in a large plastic bag and remove them an hour before I'm ready to use them to defrost.
Banana's should be fairly smooth when ready.
Add brown sugar, oil (coconut, melted or cooking oil of choice), cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until well combined.
Add flour, vinegar, coffee, chocolate chips and nuts (if using).
Mix until combined.
Scrape sides of bowl and make sure batter is well combined and pour into a 9"x13" greased pan.
Line pan with parchment paper and grease parchment paper for easy removal.
Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool completely before serving.
This was so easy to make and really requires very little fuss.
The perfect afternoon snack or delicious dessert.
Eggless Chocolate Banana Monkey Snack Cake
Eggless Chocolate Banana Monkey Snack Cake. An easy to make cake great for cooking with the kids in the kitchen and a great way to use ripe banana's. Recipe includes step by step instructions with pictures.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT40M
Total time: PT1H0M
Yield: 18 Servings
Calories per serving: 281Ingredients
Fat per serving: 11
Fat per serving: 11
- 5 whole Banana's, Peeled
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
- 2/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 2/3 cup Coconut Oil, Melted Or Canola Oil
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar Or White Vinegar
- 2/3 cup Strong Black Coffee
- 1/2 cups Semi-Sweet or Dark Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 cup Walnut or Nuts Of Choice, Chopped (Optional)
- 1 1/2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip Or Dark Chocolate (To Sprinkle On Top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9"x13" pan. For ease of removal line with parchment paper and grease parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix banana's until smooth.
- Add brown sugar, cocoa powder, oil, baking soda, salt and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Add flour, vinegar, coffee, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and nuts. Mix until well combined.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl well to make sure batter is combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.