Crock Pot Sausage Black Beans and Rice is a hearty, easy to make and inexpensive dinner.
I never use to love my crock pot but over the years it's grown on me.
I love being able to start dinner in the morning and know it will be done on time with very little fuss.
Sausage black beans and rice could be served as a side but we love it as our main dish with a big slice of cornbread slathered in butter and drizzled with honey.
I used brown rice in the recipe because it maintains it's texture better then white rice which is important with the long cooking time.
I strongly suggest serving the Sausage Black Beans and Rice with a selection of toppings like sour cream or greek yogurt, green onions, lime slices, fresh cilantro and cheese.
The extra options seems to appease even the pickiest eater.
In a large sauce pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and brown the sliced smoked sausage on both sides.
Add a chopped onion and cook until the onion starts to caramelize to build another layer of flavor to the beans.
Add the sausage and onion mixture to the crock pot along with 1 pound black beans soaked overnight, 4 cloves of minced garlic, 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes with juice, 6 cups chicken broth, 4 diced carrots, 4 stalks celery diced, 1 chopped red bell pepper, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon italian seasoning, 2 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon Cumin, 1 teaspoon hot sauce or to taste and 1 cup brown rice.
Mix ingredients well and cover crock pot.
Cook for 6 hours on hi or 8-10 hours on low.
Stir in 4 tablespoons tomato paste 30 minutes - 1 hour before serving.
Once beans are tender season with salt to taste. I used 1 teaspoon of sea salt.
Serve with corn bread, sour cream or greek yogurt, fresh lime, green onions, fresh cilantro and cheese.
Crock Pot Sausage Black Beans and Rice
Crock Pot Sausage Black Beans and Rice is a healthy and easy dinner to make.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT8H
Total time: PT8H10M
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 pound Dried Black Beans Soaked Overnight
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 16 ounces Smoked Sausage like Andoullie or Linguisa, Sliced
- 1 whole Onion, Diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 14.5 ounces Diced Tomatoes and Juice
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 whole Carrots, Diced
- 4 stalks Celery, Diced
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Seeds Removed and Diced
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce Or To Taste
- 1 cup Brown Rice
- 4 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Salt or To Taste
- 1 teaspoon Pepper or To Taste
- For Serving: Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt, Lime, Green Onions, Cilantro and Grated Cheese
- In a large pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage and brown on both sides. Add diced onion and cook until onion starts to caramelize.
- Put sausage and onions in the crock pot. Add garlic, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, carrots, celery, bell pepper, thyme, italian seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, hot sauce and rice.
- Stir mixture well and cook on high 6 hours or low 8-10 hours.
- 30 minutes- 1 hour before serving stir in tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Serve with desired topping.