An easy to make soup at the end of a busy day. Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is bound to be a family favorite that's done in under 30 minutes.
Where has the time gone?
This Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup might seem out of place with summer right around the corner but we live in Washington so you never know what kind of weather we might have plus it's so good I would hate to hold out on you until fall.
This is one of those soups that makes your want to shove yo face into it.
The kids asked if I would make it 2 nights in a row and LJ (the boy who doesn't like cheese) dug in for seconds.
Plus did I mention dinner is done in under 30 minutes making it an easy dinner or lunch for any day of the week.
Double high five, chest bump, score!
In a large pot over medium-high heat add olive oil and 1 medium sized onion, chopped.
Sauté until onion starts to caramelize.
Add 3 carrots, 3 celery stalks and 4 cloves garlic, mined.
Add a pinch of red pepper.
Add 60 ounces of canned tomatoes plus juice, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and stir until well combined.
Add 1 tablespoon honey and stir well.
If you don't have honey you can add sugar to taste.
Cook for about 15 minutes or until veggies are soft.
Remove the center part from your blender and add 1/4th of the tomato mixture. Place a clean old towel over the top to keep tomatoes from splattering and pulse until smooth.
Repeat with remaining tomatoes.
Add 4 cups Chicken stock and heat until simmering.
Add fresh tortellini and cook for 3 minutes or as package recommends.
I find Costco has a really good quality product and one of our local grocery stores carries a locally made tortellini that passes the quality test.
This is just my opinion and I received no compensation for saying that.. Just a little fyi.
Remove from heat.
Add 1 cup half & half or milk and 1/2 cup chopped basil, stir until well combined.
Serve with crusty bread and fresh parmesan.
Now go get yo soup on!
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is an easy meal done in under 30 minutes perfect for lunch or dinner.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT20M
Total time: PT30M
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 whole Medium Sized Onion, Chopped
- 3 whole Carrots, Chopped Fine
- 3 stalks Celery, Diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 pinch Red Pepper
- 60 ounces Canned Tomatoes and Juice
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper Or To Taste
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 Pounds Fresh Cheese Tortellini
- 1 cup Half & Half or Milk
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil, Chopped
- Parmesan Cheese for serving.
- In a large pot add olive oil and onion. Cook over medium-high heat until onion starts to caramelize.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic and a pinch of red pepper. Cook until veggies start to soften about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, italian seasoning, salt, pepper and honey. Mix until well combined.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until veggies are softened.
- Puree in small batches in blender or with a hand held emersion blender. If you remove the hard plastic piece from the lid of the blender and cover it with a clean cloth you don't mind getting stained, it will prevent the lid from popping off causing a mess. The cloth prevents the tomato soup from splattering. Puree all of the soup until smooth.
- Add the soup back to the pot and add chicken stock, stir until well combined and bring to a simmer.
- Add tortellini and cook for 3 minutes or for recommended time.
- Remove from heat and stir in half & half and fresh basil.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.