Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Thursday, August 7, 2014
Blackberry Crumb Bars
A perfect dessert for the summer bounty of blackberries. Blackberry Crumb Bars are bound to be a hit!
One of my favorite things about this time of year is the abundance of blackberries.
I adore these juicy little gems.
Blackberry seasons in full swing and LJ has been out picking a bumper crop for me daily and freezing them for future use.
Have I told you how much I love that boy, he's great about helping out when I need him and guilting his brother and sister into helping him.
He even went out early the other morning to come home with fresh Blackberries to make these Blackberry Crumb Bars that are out of this world.
Who can pass on a crunchy layer of pressed crumb filled with blackberry filling and then a crunchy crumb topping.
Totally worth a face plant into the pan.
They are amazing plain but a scoop of vanilla ice cream makes them an extra special treat.
Be prepared I'm pretty sure more blackberry recipes are on the way with the way my kids been picking!
Measure 5 cups Blackberries, fresh or frozen.
Add 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar and 3 tablespoons Flour. Mix until well combined.
I used whole wheat pastry flour for this recipe but all-purpose works too.
In a large bowl stir together 2 1/3 cup Flour, 2 1/3 cup Oatmeal, 1 teaspoon Sea Salt, 2 teaspoons Baking Powder, 1 cup Brown Sugar, 1 cup Granulated Sugar until well combined.
This can be done by hand or in a mixer.
Add 1 cup cubed cold butter and mix until combined and crumbly.
Crust should be looking all crumblylicious like this.
It's also a little addicting uncooked so you may or may not want to try a taste or two or three but try not to eat it all, belly aches are no fun!
Press half the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 pan that's buttered well.
For ease of removal line with parchment paper and butter parchment paper, then the bars can easily be removed from pan and cut neatly.
Spread blackberries evenly over crumb mixture.
Press remaining crumbs between fingers and evenly distribute them over the top of blackberries.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, top will be lightly browned.
Eat a few plain for I don't know.... Breakfast...
It has oatmeal and berries so it totally qualifies as breakfast food...
And a few with a big ol' scoop of vanilla ice cream.
You can thank me later.
Blackberry Crumb Bars
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Blackberry Crumb Bars are easy to make and a guaranteed hit.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT50M
Total time: PT1H0M
Yield: 16 Bars
- 5 cups Blackberries, Fresh Or Frozen
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Or All-Purpose Flour
- 2 1/3 cup Oatmeal, Old Fashioned Or Quick Oats
- 2 1/3 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Or All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Cold Butter, Cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9"x13" pan. For easy removal line pan with parchment paper and butter parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl combine blackberries, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 3 tablespoon flour. Toss until coated and set aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer stir together: oatmeal, flour, sea salt, baking powder, brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Add cubed butter and mix until crumbly and well combined.
- Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of prepared pan and cover evenly with blackberries.
- Press remaining crumb mixture between fingers and distribute evenly over the top of the blackberries.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until lightly browned.