The perfect cake for brunch or dessert. The Cinnamon Brown Sugar Crumb is swirled throughout the cake allowing a taste in every bite.
The minute the leaves start changing all things to do with Apple, Pumpkin, my favorite long socks and boots start to happen!
This Apple Coffeecake With Cinnamon Brown Sugar Crumb Swirl has been a regular on our fall must haves for years.
I originally made it with the Krustez Cinnamon Crumb Coffeecake mix for years until I had perfected this little gem..
It's perfectly moist and the cinnamon brown sugar crumb topping provides the perfect contrast to the tart Granny Smith Apples.
I usually use whole wheat pastry flour to increase the fiber but all-purpose flour works equally well I can never tell the difference in this recipe between the two flours.
The cinnamon crumb swirl ensures a taste of the cinnamon brown sugar crumb topping in every bite.
We love this cake for brunch or dessert and it's always a hit.
Mix together 2 cups Brown Sugar, 3 tablespoons Flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon.
Add 6 tablespoons Cold Butter, Cubed.
Mixture will form crumbs when pressed together. Set aside.
Cream together 3/4 cup cold Butter with 1 1/2 cups Sugar until light and fluffy.
The cold butter helps add volume to the batter making for a lighter coffeecake.
Add 4 eggs one at a time, scarping sides of bowl between each addition.
Add 2 teaspoons Vanilla and mix until well combined.
Add 1 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon Baking Soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder and 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt.
Mix until well combined.
Add 3 cups All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour 1 cup at a time alternating with 1 1/2 cups Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt (1/2 cup at a time.)
Tip: Whole Wheat Pastry Flour is a healthier option and no one will be able to tell it's whole wheat.
Mix until just barely combined being careful not to over mix.
Add 2 whole Granny Smith Apples peeled, cored and diced about 3 cups.
I like the granny smith apples because they are tart and hold up well to baking. If they are too tart Pinovas are a bit sweeter and always a favorite in baked goods.
Butter a 9"x13" pan and line with parchment paper, butter parchment paper.
Spread 1/2 of the apple batter mixture over the bottom of the prepared pan.
Press 1/3 of the Cinnamon Brown Sugar Crumb between fingers and sprinkle evenly over batter.
Spread remaining batter over the top and use a knife to swirl batter.
Press remaining crumb mixture between fingers and spread evenly over the top of cake.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 55-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool before serving.
Apple Coffeecake With Cinnamon Brown Sugar Crumb is all the things I love about the fall in each little bite.
A perfect cake for brunch or dessert Apple Coffeecake with Cinnamon Brown Sugar Crumb is always hit.
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon, Ground
- 6 tablespoons Cold Butter, Cubed
- 3/4 cup Cold Butter, Cubed
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 whole Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Sour Cream Or Greek Yogurt
- 2 whole Large Granny Smith Apples, Peeled, Cored and Diced ( About 3 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9"x13" pan and line with parchment paper, butter parchment paper.
- For The Brown Sugar Cinnamon Crumb: Mix together brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Mix using a mixer or cut in using a pastry cutter 6 tablespoons cubed butter until crumbly.
- Add 3/4 cup cold butter to mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Slowly add sugar while beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition. Scrape sides of bowl between each egg. Then add vanilla and mix well. Batter should be light and fluffy.
- Add baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Beat on medium-high speed until well combined. Scrape sides of bowl.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time alternating with 1/2 cup sour cream mixing on low speed until just combined being careful not to over mix. Repeat until all of the flour and sour cream has been added.
- Mix in diced apples until evenly distributed.
- Spread half of the cake batter into the bottom of prepared pan and spread to the edge.
- Spread 1/3 of of the Brown Sugar Cinnamon Crumb over the batter and cover with remaining apple coffeecake batter and use a knife to swirl in cinnamon crumb topping.
- Press brown sugar crumb topping between fingers to form crumbs and distribute evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool before serving.
© 2014 Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Created using The Recipes Generator
Make sure to check out these other favorite Coffeecake Recipes:
Cherry Cream Cheese Coffeecake
Blueberry Cinnamon Swirl Coffeecake
Strawberry Rhubarb Coffeecake