I made this Roasted Tomato Soup with Orzo twice last week while I was fighting a really nasty cold because it was that good and the kids kept asking for me to make it again.
The hardest part of making this soup was convincing the kids to go out and pick the tomatoes in the garden because the spiders had built a few huge webs around the plants.
It was like orchestrating an army operation to take them out.
I should have never let my kids know I hate spiders because now they all seem to be fearfull too.
Luckly they were just some giant garden spiders so I bribed them to use a stick to move the webs and eventually we ended up with a few huge bowels of the most gorgeously ripe tomatoes.
Roasting the tomatoes really concentrates the flavor and the orzo adds heartiness perfect for the cooler weather.
I know you'll love this soup as much as we do!
On a large rimmed baking sheet combine 3 1/2 pounds of ripe tomatoes quartered (Cherry tomatoes can be left whole), 1/2 a large Onion roughly chopped, 5 cloves of peeled Garlic, 2 large Carrots roughly chopped, 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Thyme and 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning.
Toss together until tomatoes and veggies are well coated.
Roast in a 450 degree oven for 30-45 minutes until carrots are tender and tomatoes start to brown.
Stir mixture after 15 minutes of roasting to cook evenly.
Using a blender or immersion blender, blend roasted tomatoes in small batches until smooth.
Add tomatoes to a large pot and stir in 4 cups Chicken Stock and bring to a simmer.
Stir in 1 cup Orzo and cook for 12 minutes until Orzo is tender.
Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup Chopped Fresh Basil, 1 cup Milk or Cream and pepper to taste.
This is perfect served with French Bread Dinner Rolls and freshly grated parmesean cheese.
Always a winner in our house!
Calories and fat calculated for recipe using heavy cream. Using milk or leaving out dairy all together will reduce calories further.
Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup With Orzo
Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil and Orzo Soup is hearty, filling and easy to make. A great use for tomatoes.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT45M
Total time: PT1H
Yield: 6 Servings
Calories per serving: 393Ingredients
Fat per serving: 21
Fat per serving: 21
- 3 1/2 pounds Tomatoes, Quartered
- 1/2 whole Onion, Roughly Chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic, Peeled
- 2 whole Large Carrots, Roughly Chopped
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Uncooked Orzo Pasta
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 1 cup Milk Or Cream
- Pepper To Taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- On a large rimmed baking sheet combine tomatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, olive oil, thyme and Italian seasoning. Toss until well coated.
- Roast tomatoes for 30-45 minutes, stir after 15 minutes to encourage even baking. Roast until tomatoes are lightly brown and carrots are tender.
- Puree tomatoes working in small batches using a blender and add to a large pot.
- Stir in 4 cups Chicken Stock and bring to a simmer. Add orzo and cook for 12 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in basil, milk or cream and add pepper to taste.