A soft slightly tangy vanilla cookie with a crispy edge and cinnamon-sugar coating. Snickerdoodle Cookies are a long time holiday favorite cookie in our house.
I was in charge of dessert last week for our small group and decided on Snickerdoodles since they are fairly easy to make and always seem to be a favorite.
Who can pass on a soft vanilla cookie with a crispy edge rolled in cinnamon and sugar?
Not me, I ate way more then my share doing quality control before we even left the house.
I usually make the cookies with half shortening and half butter but I was out of shortening on this particular day and didn't miss the shortening a bit!
They are good either way and all butter made for a more flavorful cookie.
I also sometimes make these Brown Butter Snickerdoodles when I'm in the mood for the nutty flavor of the brown butter.
You can never go wrong with either recipe.
Cream 1 cup Slightly Softened Butter, 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar and 3/4 cup Brown Sugar until light and fluffy.
Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
Add 2 whole Eggs, one at a time. Beating well between each addition.
Beat in 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract, 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Baking Soda, 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt and 2 teaspoons Cream Of Tartar until well incorporated.
Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
Add 2 3/4 cup All-Purpose Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour and mix until well combined.
If time allows I like to refrigerate the dough for 10-20 minutes before rolling into balls.
In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar and 1 tablespoon Ground Cinnamon.
Scoop dough into a heaping tablespoon and roll into a ball.
Roll each ball into cinnamon sugar mixture.
Place snickerdoodle balls 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
Using the bottom of a glass gently press cookies until tops are flat and form a disk.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12 minutes until cookies are lightly brown around the edges.
I'm sure you'll love these as much as we do!
A holiday must make cookie. Snickerdoodles are a long time family favorite.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT12M
Total time: PT25M
Yield: 48 Cookies
- 1 cup Butter, Slightly Softened But Still Firm
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 whole Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon, Ground
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Cream Of Tartar
- 2 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon, Ground
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition.
- Beat in vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda, sea salt and cream of tartar until well combined.
- Stir in flour until well incorporated.
- Refrigerate dough for 10-20 minutes if time allows for easier shaping.
- In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
- Scoop dough into heaping tablespoons and roll into balls. Roll balls into cinnamon sugar mixture and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Gently press top of cookies down to form a disk.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes until lightly brown around the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool for 2 minutes before removing cookies to a cooling rack.