Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Sunday, November 9, 2014
A soft slightly tangy vanilla cookie with a crispy edge and cinnamon-sugar coating. Snickerdoodle Cookies are a long time holiday favorite cookie in our house.
I was in charge of dessert last week for our small group and decided on Snickerdoodles since they are fairly easy to make and always seem to be a favorite.
Who can pass on a soft vanilla cookie with a crispy edge rolled in cinnamon and sugar?
Not me, I ate way more then my share doing quality control before we even left the house.
I usually make the cookies with half shortening and half butter but I was out of shortening on this particular day and didn't miss the shortening a bit!
They are good either way and all butter made for a more flavorful cookie.
I also sometimes make these Brown Butter Snickerdoodles when I'm in the mood for the nutty flavor of the brown butter.
You can never go wrong with either recipe.
Cream 1 cup Slightly Softened Butter, 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar and 3/4 cup Brown Sugar until light and fluffy.
Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
Add 2 whole Eggs, one at a time. Beating well between each addition.
Beat in 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract, 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Baking Soda, 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt and 2 teaspoons Cream Of Tartar until well incorporated.
Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
Add 2 3/4 cup All-Purpose Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour and mix until well combined.
If time allows I like to refrigerate the dough for 10-20 minutes before rolling into balls.
In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar and 1 tablespoon Ground Cinnamon.
Scoop dough into a heaping tablespoon and roll into a ball.
Roll each ball into cinnamon sugar mixture.
Place snickerdoodle balls 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
Using the bottom of a glass gently press cookies until tops are flat and form a disk.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12 minutes until cookies are lightly brown around the edges.
I'm sure you'll love these as much as we do!
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
A holiday must make cookie. Snickerdoodles are a long time family favorite.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT12M
Total time: PT25M
Yield: 48 Cookies
- 1 cup Butter, Slightly Softened But Still Firm
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 whole Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon, Ground
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Cream Of Tartar
- 2 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon, Ground
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition.
- Beat in vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda, sea salt and cream of tartar until well combined.
- Stir in flour until well incorporated.
- Refrigerate dough for 10-20 minutes if time allows for easier shaping.
- In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
- Scoop dough into heaping tablespoons and roll into balls. Roll balls into cinnamon sugar mixture and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Gently press top of cookies down to form a disk.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes until lightly brown around the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool for 2 minutes before removing cookies to a cooling rack.