Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Tuesday, January 6, 2015
Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Perfectly light and moist Banana Cake with a lightly sweetened Cream Cheese Frosting.
I'm pretty sure I've been food driven my whole life.
I can still remember the first time I tasted Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, it was at my Aunts wedding and I was probably about 8 or 9 years old.
It's was so much lighter then banana bread but still perfectly moist with lots of banana flavor and the cream cheese frosting was sweetened to perfection.
I then spent years in search of a Banana Cake recipe that was as delicious as the one at her wedding with a lot of disappointments until I found a recipe printed in the LA Times from the Clementine Bakery quite a few years back.
It was sweet but not overly sweet with a light crumb and lots of banana flavor exactly what I had been searching for.
I've tweaked the recipe a bit over the years to end up with the Ultimate Banana Cake Recipe that is moist but light with lots of banana flavor and not overly sweet.
It's the perfect use for all of your overly ripe banana's!
To make the Banana Cake: Cream together 3/4 cup Coconut Oil (Not Melted), 2 cups Granulated Sugar and 2/3 cup Brown Sugar until light and fluffy.
Add 3 whole Eggs one at a time beating well between each addition to incorporate air for a lighter cake.
Add 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla and beat until well blended scraping sides of bowl as needed.
(You can add the vanilla with the last egg.)
Add 4 whole Ripe Medium Sized Banana's and mix until well blended about 45 seconds.
(Sorry the banana picture isn't very pretty they had been frozen in the freezer.)
Stir in 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda and 1 teaspoon Sea Salt.
Stir in 2 2/3 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or All-Purpose Flour and 1/2 cup Buttermilk until well blended, do not over mix.
Grease 9"x13" pan and line with parchment paper for easy removal, grease parchment paper.
Add cake batter to pan and spread evenly.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
To make frosting mix together 10 ounces Softened Cream Cheese, 1/4 cup Softened Butter, 2 tablespoons Greek Yogurt, 1 pinch of Sea Salt and 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract until well combined.
Mix in 3 cups Powdered Sugar until smooth and creamy.
Spread frosting over cooled cake and enjoy!
Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch Adapted From Clementine Bakery
Perfectly light and moist Banana Cake with a lightly sweetened Cream Cheese Frosting.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT35M
Total time: PT1H55M
Yield: 16 Servings
- 3/4 cup Coconut Oil (Not Melted) or Softened Butter
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3 whole Eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 whole Ripe Banana's Medium Sized (3 Large Banana's)
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 2/3 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 10 ounces Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1/4 cup Butter, Softened
- 2 tablespoons Greek Yogurt
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9"x13" pan. For easy removal of cake line greased pan with parchment paper and grease parchment paper. Set aside.
- To make Banana Cake Batter: Cream coconut oil, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition. With last egg add vanilla and scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Add banana's and mix until well combined.
- Stir in baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- Add flour and buttermilk. Stir until well combined being careful not to over mix.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely before frosting.
- To Make Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat softened cream cheese, butter, yogurt, sea salt and vanilla until well combined. Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Frost cooled cake and serve.
- Store cake in refrigerator.