Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Fresh Strawberry Pie
A great use for fresh, ripe strawberries! Fresh Strawberry Pie is sure to be a favorite!
This my friends is one of those pies that sings to my heart.
Fresh Strawberry Pie is almost like shortcake but in a Flaky Pie Crust or Graham Cracker Crust dependent on how you roll.
One of the most important things when making a Fresh Strawberry Pie is making sure the strawberries are incredibly ripe.
I went all the way this time with a Flaky Crust because I was already making that luscious Lemon Meringue Pie I shared last week so I had a second crust needing to be put to use.
Lorna has been asking me to make another one since we devoured the first one in less then a day so I'm thinking maybe I'll have her help make another one for Easter.
This is one of those desserts I could eat for breakfast or dessert for the rest of my life and totally be content.
I'm pretty sure my family will agree!
First you'll need to bake 1 9" Flaky Pie Crust. You can find the recipe with step by step instructions for the crust here and baking it here.
Or you can use a 9" Baked Graham Cracker Cust and you can find instructions and recipe for a Graham Cracker Crust here.
In a blender puree 2 1/4 cups Chopped Strawberries, 1/3 cup Water and Juice of 1 Lemon until smooth.
(Pretend Picture Of 5 Cups Sliced In Half Strawberries Here)
Remove stems and slice in half another 5 cups of strawberries.
In a medium sized sauce pan whisk together 1 cup Sugar, 1/4 cup Cornstarch, Zest of 1 Lemon and a pinch of salt until well combined.
Slowly whisk in pureed strawberry mixture until smooth to prevent lumps.
Cook strawberry mixture over medium heat until thickened and bubbling.
Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract.
Arrange halved strawberries in baked pie crust and pour cooked strawberry mixture over the top.
Spread mixture evenly over the strawberries.
Refrigerate Strawberry Pie for 4 hours until cold or overnight.
Serve with freshly sweetened whipped cream and garnish with a strawberry on top totally optional.
P.S. Please check out the tabs on the top for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, cocktails, ect. and let me know what you think! I updated the tabs to be a visual recipe index hopefully making it easier for you to find the recipes you are looking for!
Fresh Strawberry Pie
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
One of the best desserts when strawberries are at the height of the season. Fresh Strawberry Pie will quickly become a favorite!Prep time: PT25M
Cook time: PT0M
Total time: PT4H25M
Yield: 10 Servings
- 1 whole 9" Baked Flaky Pie Crust Or Graham Cracker Crust
- 5 cups Stem Removed Halved Strawberries
- 2 1/4 cups Stem Removed Diced Strawberries
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 whole Lemon, Juiced and Zested
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Sweetened Whipped Cream and Strawberries for Serving.
- Arrange the 5 cups strawberries in baked pie crust and set aside.
- In a blender puree the 2 1/4 cup diced strawberries, water and lemon juice until smooth.
- In a medium sized saucepan whisk together lemon zest, sugar, cornstarch and sea salt until well combined. While whisking slowly pour in pureed strawberry mixture to prevent lumps. Bring to a simmer over medium heat while stirring and cook until thickened and bubbling.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour hot strawberry mixture over the top of arranged strawberries and spread mixture evenly over berries.
- Refrigerate pie for 4 hours until cold or overnight.
- Serve with Sweetened Whipped Cream and additional strawberries.