Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Minestrone Soup Recipe
I made this Minestrone Soup the other weekend because I had a fridge full of veggies needing to be used and the kids always love Minestrone Soup.
It's the perfect vessel for sneaking extra veggies into the kids and a meatless meal into Colt.
I swear my husband thinks he's going to wither away every time he knows somethings meatless.
He actually questioned me when I was making the soup about the lack of meat since we were cooking dinner together.
I had to reassure him he wouldn't miss the meat and I always make it like this.
The look on his face pretty much said he was sure I was starving him but by the time he had the soup he completely forgot about the lack of meat and devoured the leftovers the next day for lunch.
The beans and hearty tomato based broth make this Minestrone Soup Recipe very filling and the meat won't be missed.
I know you'll love it as much as we do!
In a large stock pot heat 2 tablespoons Olive Oil over medium-high heat.
Add 1 medium sized onion and saute until softened.
Add 3 whole Chopped Carrots, 3 ribs Chopped Celery and 4 cloves Chopped Garlic.
Saute until softened and add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Stir in 60 ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes, 4 cups Chicken Stock, 3 cups Water, 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning, 1 teaspoon Rosemary and 1 teaspoon Sea Salt.
Mix until well combined. Bring to a simmer and cover.
Cook for 20 minutes.
Puree about 1/4 of the tomato soup mixture and stir back into soup.
Make sure to remove the center from blender cover to keep mixture from expanding and blowing the top off the blender. Cover lid with a clean cloth you don't mind tomato splatter on and puree.
Add 1 cup Mini Penne or Pasta of choice, 1 Chopped Bell Pepper, 5 Sliced Mushrooms, 1 Chopped Medium Sized Zucchini, 1/4 pound Green Beans Cut Into Bite Size Pieces, 15 ounces Drained Canned Cannellini Beans and 15 ounces Drained Canned Kidney Beans.
Return to a simmer and turn heat to low, cook for 20 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
Stir in 2 cups Baby Spinach or Kale and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in 1/2 cup Chiffonaded Basil and serve.
Taste Soup and add additional Salt and Pepper to taste.
We love freshly grated parmesan cheese over the top of our Minestrone Soup and a nice loaf of crusty bread.
The perfect meal for Meatless Monday or any night!
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Minestrone Soup Recipe with easy to follow step by step instructions.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT40M
Total time: PT1H0M
Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 whole Medium Sized Onion, Diced
- 3 whole Carrots, Diced
- 3 ribs Celery, Diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 3 cups Water
- 60 ounces Diced Canned Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 cup Uncooked Mini Penne Or Pasta Of Choice
- 1 whole Bell Pepper, Diced
- 5 whole Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 whole Medium Sized Zucchini, Diced
- 1/4 pound Green Beans, Cut Into Bite Size Pieces
- 15 ounces Canned Cannellini Beans, Drained
- 15 ounces Canned Kidney Beans, Drained
- 2 cups Baby Spinach Or Kale
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil, Chiffonaded Fine
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Parmesan Cheese For Serving
- In a large stock pot add olive oil and onion. Cook over medium-high heat until onion starts to soften and caramelize.
- Add carrot, celery and garlic. Cook until vegetables start to soften.
- Add red pepper flakes, chicken stock, water, canned tomatoes, italian seasoning, rosemary and sea salt. Return to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Puree 1/4 of the tomato mixture in a blender, food processor or using an immersion blender. If using a blender remember to remove center from lid and cover with a clean cloth you don't mind stained to prevent lid from exploding off from the steam.
- Stir in blended tomato mixture, pasta, bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, green beans and canned beans. Return to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until pasta is al dente.
- Stir in spinach and cook for 1 minute. Add basil and stir well.
- Taste soup, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.