Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Friday, July 24, 2015
Basic Potato Salad Guest Post From The Complete Savorist
I'm so excited to be having Michelle from The Complete Savorist guest hosting on the blog today with an a tasty recipe for Basic Potato Salad! I can't wait to try it!
She has a gorgeous blog with tons of delicious recipes! Please make sure to take a minute to stop by her blog and say hi!
Hi everyone, I’m Michelle from The Complete Savorist and am really excited to be here with you today. Thank you Serena for the opportunity to share a recipe with you.
How many of you have a potato salad recipe? Most of you I bet. I have many. My parents divorced when I was young, so I don’t have just two recipes, one from the maternal grandma and one from the paternal grandma, but over six different family potato salad recipes.
Who needs six? Ok, I totally need 6. But that got me thinking at what each of these recipes had in common, as they all tasted different but yet, all tasted like, well, potato salad.
Potatoes, eggs, and mayonnaise were at the base of each recipe, except one had Miracle Whip, but it still was creamy white fatty stuff. Salt and pepper were also at the core and then from there each recipe morphed into what made it unique. One thing, each recipe used a different potato; three were russets, two goldens or yukons, and one using reds.
Using my very, um, scientific method, I broke them all down and created a potato salad base which after following can utterly be customized to each palate. I chose to go with goldens vs russets for two reasons despite the majority of my recipes calling for russets. I like the creamy or buttery texture of goldens and I had them on hand.
I want to thank Serena for allowing me here today. Thank you for this opportunity. Now, what might you add to this basic recipe to customize it to your family’s tastes?
If you’d like to check out anything else that The Complete Savorist has made, you can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, G+, and Instagram.
Basic Potato Salad
Recipe by Michelle From The Complete Savorist
Basic Potato Salad is a good solid base for a basic potato salad recipe.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT30M
Total time: PT1H0M
Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 pounds Golden Or Yukon Potatoes (or any)
- 1 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 5 whole Hard-boiled Eggs; Chopped, reserving a few for garnish
- 6-8 whole Green Onions; Both White and Green Parts, thinly sliced and reserve a few for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Dill Pickle Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt; +/- To Taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper; +/- To Taste
- Place whole potatoes in large sauce pan and fill with water, add a pinch or two of salt and bring the potatoes to a boil over a medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and allow the potatoes to cook through, until fork tender, between 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Once cooked, drain the potatoes and allow them to cool long enough to handle. Peel while still warm, as the skins will come off easier while still warm. Cut half the batch into cubes and place in a large mixing bowl. Using a masher or ricer, mash the remaining half. Toss the chopped eggs with the potatoes, and add the salt and pepper, mix well.
- In a different bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, green onions, and pickle juice, stir until combined and then add to the potatoes and eggs. Once the mayonnaise mixture has been fully incorporated into the potatoes, taste for seasoning, adding any additional salt and pepper if needed to taste.
- This can be served immediately, but if not, cover and chill until ready to be served. Enjoy.