Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Thursday, August 13, 2015
Peach Upside Down Cake
We bought a box of peaches the other day and I knew I wanted to make something special before the kids devoured them all, they never last long in our house even when I try to hide a few.
After a few hours of trying to decide what I wanted to make, I knew I had to make a decision fast because the kids had already ate about half the box of peaches.
I finally decided a Peach Upside Down Cake with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream was what I was craving.
I adapted our families favorite Fresh Pineapple Upside Down Cake to make the ultimate Peach Upside Down Cake.
There's something about how the caramelized peach topping soaks into the cake to infuse it with an amazing flavor that I just can't get enough of!
I totally could live on this cake and it may or may not have been my breakfast and dessert but I am not denying nor admitting to anything!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add 1 1/2 whole Pitted Peaches to a blender and puree until fairly smooth, a few chunks like apple sauce won't hurt.
Measure out a 1/2 cup of the Peach Puree and set aside.. Any remaining puree makes a super delicious snack the kids loved it!
In a mixer add 6 tablespoons Cold Butter Cut Into 1 Tablespoon Sized Pieces, 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar, and 1/2 cup Brown Sugar.
Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Add 2 whole Eggs one at a time beating well between each addition.
Add 2 teaspoons Baking Powder, 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt, 2 teaspoons Vanilla, and reserved 1/2 cup Peach Puree.
Mix until combined.
Add 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour and 2 tablespoons Half & Half or Milk.
Mix just until combined scraping sides and bottom of bowl well.
In a skillet add 7 tablespoons Butter and 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar.
Whisk over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and smooth.
Grease a 9"x2" Cake Pan well with Butter. Pour cooked brown sugar mixture into pan and arrange Sliced Peaches over the top to fill pan.
I left the skin on the peaches for a pretty color and they become very tender when cooked.
Cover peaches with cake batter and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool for about 4-5 minutes for the juices to absorb back into the cake.
I didn't set my timer and as you can see I had some of the juices run.
This pictures not the pretties I've shared because I grabbed it with my cell phone to send to Colt so when he came home to take photos he totally forgot to grab an overhead shot and sliced into the cake and the center peach sunk into the middle of the cake.
So we both decided it wasn't the end of the world and I would just use the picture off my phone.
I figure we've all been friends long enough you could look past the photo and see the deliciousness awaiting you!
But we did manage a pretty half of the cake shot!
Just looking at it makes me want to make another one!
Allow cake to cool until warm or room temperature and serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Peach Upside Down Cake
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
The most delicious Peach Upside Down Cake with easy to follow step by step instructions with pictures.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT45M
Total time: PT1H5M
Yield: 10 Servings
- 1 1/2 whole Peaches, Pitted
- 6 tablespoons Cold Butter, Cut into tablespoon sized pieces
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 whole Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2 tablespoons Half and Half or Milk
- 7 tablespoons Softened Butter Plus More For Greasing Pan
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2-3 whole Peaches, Pitted And Sliced About 1/4" Thick
- For Serving: Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9"x 2" Cake Pan well with butter and set aside.
- In a blender add 1 1/2 pitted peaches and puree until smooth. Depending on how strong your blender is you may need to stir the mixture a few times. Measure 1/2 cup peach puree and set aside.
- In a mixer add cold butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar , and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time beating well between each addition.
- Stir in baking powder, salt, vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup peach puree until till combined.
- Mix in flour and half and half or milk just until combined. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl well. Set aside.
- In a heavy duty pan combine remaining 7 tablespoons of butter and 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Whisk over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and silky. Remove from heat and whisk in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Pour brown sugar mixture into prepared cake pan and arrange sliced peaches over the top. Spread cake batter evenly over the top of peaches and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 4-5 minutes before inverting onto a cake plate to allow the caramelized peach syrup to cool and absorb back into the pan. A cake plate with an edge works best in case some of the juice is still runny.
- Serve warm or room temperature with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.