Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Wednesday, September 9, 2015
Apple Pie Crumb Bars
We went to a Chili Party on Labor Day since the weathers been overcast and gloomy for the last week or two it was a bit more fitting then a barbecue so I decided to make these Apple Pie Crumb Bars because I couldn't decide if I wanted an Apple Pie or Crisp.
Apple Pie Crumb Bars are an easy to make hybrid of the two and perfect for a crowd!
They have plenty of crumb for all my crumb lovers out there with plenty of apple filling!
Lorna and I made 2 pans of these Apple Pie Crumb Bars so we had a pan to share and a pan for home because they never last long in our house.
I also highly suggest a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream because there's nothing better in life then appley, cinnamony, crumbly goodness with a good old scoop of vanilla.
I just happened to accidentally leave the vanilla ice cream out the night before so we had to enjoy our Apple Pie Crumb Bars at home without it but they were still amazing.
You really can't go wrong with these.
In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment mix together 2 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour, 2 1/3 cup Oatmeal, 1 cup Brown Sugar, 1 cup Granulated Sugar, 2 teaspoons Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon Sea Salt and 1 teaspoon Cinnamon on low speed until combined.
Add 1 cup Cold Cubed Butter on medium-low speed until well combined and crumbly.
Mixture will look like this.
Butter a 9"x13" pan. For easier removal line buttered pan with parchment paper and butter parchment paper. Press half of crumb mixture into the bottom of prepared pan.
Stir together 7 cups Peeled, Cored and Sliced Granny Smith Apples 1/3 cup Brown Sugar, 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour, 1 tablespoon Cinnamon and 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice until well combined.
Spread apples evenly over crust and cover with remaining half of crumb mixture.
Press crumbs between fingers while distributing to form large crumbles.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes until Apple Pie Crumb Bars are lightly brown and apples are desired doneness when poked with a skewer.
Allow bars to cool until just warm before slicing and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if your heart desires.
Apple Pie Crumb Bars
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Easy to make Apple Pie Crumb Bars are the perfect hybrid of Apple Pie and Apple Crisp plus easy to make!Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT55M
Total time: PT1H10M
Yield: 15 Servings
- 7 cups Granny Smith Apples, Peeled, Cored and Sliced
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 1/3 cup All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2 1/3 cup Oatmeal
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon, Ground
- 1 cup Cold Butter, Cubed
- Vanilla Ice Cream For Serving (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9"x13" pan. For easy removal line pan with parchment paper and butter parchment paper. Set pan aside.
- In a large bowl stir apples, 1/3cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoon flour, 1 tablespoon Cinnamon and lemon juice together until well combined.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment stir together on low speed 2 1/3 cup flour, oatmeal, 1 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon until well combined. Add butter and mix on medium-low speed until well combined and crumbly.
- Press half of the crumb mixture into prepared pan and cover with apples. Press remaining crumb mixture between fingers to form large crumbs and spread evenly over apples.
- Bake Apple Pie Crumb Bars for 50-55 minutes until lightly brown and apples are desired tenderness when poked with a skewer.
- Allow bars to cool until just warm before slicing.