Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Wednesday, October 28, 2015
Broccoli Casseroles a favorite side in our house even though technically this is a Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole because I only had 1 head of broccoli and had to use the cauliflower in it's place but the kids always know it by Broccoli Casserole so we are sticking with the familiar name for sanity's sake because otherwise they will grill me for the next 30 minutes on what exactly it is I am making and planning to feed them.
And by them I mean mainly Mas because he's taken a sudden interest in trying his best to be a picky eater at the ripe old age of 10 but so far I am still winning the battle.
He forgets he has 2 older siblings and I've already been through this.
Like when Lorna was little and told me she didn't like mushrooms.
So I would put shiitake mushrooms in soup and tell her they were calamari and she gobbled them up without a complaint!
After a few months I told her the truth of my evil ways and she loved mushrooms ever since.
Even LJ who has all these rules around when he will and won't eat cheese devours this one with pleasure, I think he categorizes this in the Macaroni and Cheese family so all is good!
The kids always put in a request for this side since the broccoli or broccoli and cauliflower dependent on what's happening in the fridge is covered in glorious velvety cheese sauce and a crunchy panko topping.
And by velvety cheese sauce I'm not talking about that plastic like Velveeta stuff.
It's all about Sharp Cheddar and in this case Sharp White Cheddar because it's what I had in the fridge but Medium Cheddars A-OK in my book too or even better Gruyere, the cheesy goodness possibilities are endless.
I love this dish for the holidays because I can assemble the Broccoli Casserole ahead of time omitting the panko topping until it's ready to be baked.
I strongly suggest you make this one sometime soon!
Melt a 1/4 cup Butter over medium-heat and add 1/2 cup Finely Diced Onions.
Saute until onions are softened and stir in 1 clove Minced Garlic.
Cook until garlic is fragrant but not brown about 30 seconds.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour over the top of onions and whisk until well blended.
Cook flour mixture for about a minute.
Slowly whisk in 1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock to prevent lumps and 1 1/2 cups Milk.
While whisking bring mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened about 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in 2 1/2 cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese or desired cheese until cheese is melted.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Butter a 9"x13" baking dish and add 1 large head of Raw Broccoli Florets or 1/2 large head Broccoli Florets and 1/2 a large head Cauliflower Florets.
Pour half of Cheese Sauce over the top.
Then add remaining large head of Raw Broccoli Florets or half head Broccoli Florets and half head Cauliflower Florets.
Sprinkle 1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese or desired cheese evenly over the top.
In a small bowl mix together 1 cup Panko Bread Crumb and 2 tablespoons Melted Butter.
Sprinkle Panko mixture evenly over the top.
Bake Broccoli Casserole for 25-30 minutes until veggies are tender and top is lightly browned.
Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving!
Cheesy, crunchy, veggie goodness!
The perfect side for any night of the week!
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Velvety cheddar cheese sauce covers broccoli or broccoli and cauliflower and covered in crispy panko bread crumbs. Broccoli Casserole is the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any night of the week that can be assembled ahead of time.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT30M
Total time: PT45M
Yield: 8 Servings
- 1/4 cup Butter, Plus Additional For Greasing Pan
- 1/2 cup Onion, Finely Diced
- 1 clove Garlic, Minced
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 3 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese or Gruyere, Grated
- 2 large heads Raw Broccoli, Florets or 1 Broccoli and 1 Cauliflower
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Butter, Melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9"x13" pan and set aside.
- In a large saute pan add butter and melt over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle flour over the top and whisk to coat. Cook flour mixture for about a minute while stirring.
- Slowly stir in chicken stock to prevent lumps and then milk. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 2 1/2 cups Grated Cheese.
- Place half of cut broccoli or broccoli/cauliflower mix into buttered pan. Cover with half of cheese sauce. Then repeat with remaining broccoli and cheese sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of grated cheese.
- In a small bowl mix together panko bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle panko crumbs evenly over the top of casserole.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until veggies are tender and top is lightly browned.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.