Colt caught a nasty head cold that's been going around our house over the last week and wasn't feeling great so I thought I would surprise him with some good old fashioned comfort food and there's nothing like a big bowl of Homemade Chicken and Dumplings when your feeling under the weather.
Earlier in the week I had Roasted 2 Chickens to divide into a few meals like Homemade Chicken and Dumplings or Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup and Chicken Enchiladas.
The roasted chicken bones really add a wonderful depth of flavor to the broth that can't be beat and really helps stretch your dollar by not needing to buy Chicken Broth from the store.
And as Granny always said, "waste not want not."
I usually stock up on whole chickens when they go on sale since they are so versatile and perfect for stretching into multiple meals to help cut down on the ever growing grocery bill.
My recipe for Homemade Chicken and Dumplings isn't in a super thick sauce but more of a velvety thickened soup that's filling but doesn't leave you feeling weighed down.
If your looking for something a little healthier Chicken and Dumplings with Swiss Chard happen to be another favorite when were feeling under the weather, the broth is lighter and the swiss chard really makes the soup filling.
But sometimes the soul requires something a little more traditional and for that these heartier Homemade Chicken and Dumplings will do!
In a large stock pot add 2 whole Roasted Chicken Carcasses meat removed, 1 whole Quartered Onion, 4 cloves Peeled Garlic, 2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary or 2 teaspoons Dried Rosemary, 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme or 2 teaspoons Dried Thyme, 2 whole Bay Leaves, 1 teaspoon of Salt and 16 cups Water.
Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for 1 1/2 hours on low.
Remove bones and strain broth through a sieve or cooking cheesecloth to remove remaining stuff.
If time allows refrigerate broth overnight so fat will become solid on the top and can be skimmed off.
In a large pot add 3 tablespoons Butter and melt over medium-high heat.
Add 6 Diced Carrots and 4 stalks Diced Celery.
Cook for 1 minute and then sprinkle 1/3 cup Flour over the top and cook for 1 minute until veggies are well coated.
Slowly stir in 9 cups Chicken Broth to prevent lumping.
Add the meat off of 1 Cooked Chicken or 4-5 cups Diced Chicken Meat.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until carrots are soft.
Taste soup and adjust Salt and Pepper to taste.
In a medium sized bowl whisk together 1 1/3 cups Flour, 2 teaspoons Baking Powder, 1/4 teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme Stems Removed or 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme and 1 tablespoon Finely Chopped Parsley until well combined.
Make a well in the center and add 1 whole Beaten Egg, 1/3 cup Milk and 3 tablespoons Melted Butter.
Dough will be soft and sticky.
For larger dumplings use a standard sized cookie scoop or about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough.
For smaller dumplings drop about a teaspoon of dough.
Drop dough into simmering broth and cover.
Cook for 15 minutes until dumplings float to the top and are firm.
Garnish Homemade Chicken and Dumplings with chopped parsley if desired and enjoy!
Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
Homemade Chicken and Dumplings with easy to follow step by step instructions. The ultimate comfort food.Prep time: PT25M
Cook time: PT2H30M
Total time: PT3H0M
Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 whole Roasted Chicken Bones, Meat and Skin Removed
- 1 whole Onion, Quartered
- 4 cloves Garlic, Peeled
- 2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary Or 2 teaspoons Dried
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme or 2 teaspoons Dried
- 2 whole Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 16 cups Water
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 6 whole Carrots, Diced
- 4 stalks Celery Diced
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 4-5 cups Roasted Chicken, De-boned and Chopped (About 1 Roasted Chicken)
- 1/2 cup Half and Half or Cream
- 1 1/3 cup Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme Or Dried
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley, Stems Remove and Chopped
- 1 whole Egg, Beaten
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 3 tablespoons Butter, Melted
- Additional Chopped Parsley For Serving.
- In a large stock pot add chicken bones, onion, garlic, springs of rosemary and thyme, bay leaves, salt and water.
- Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken bones and strain broth through a sieve or kitchen cheesecloth to remove remaining remnants. If time allows refrigerate broth until ready to use and skim fat off top once it solidifies.
- In a large pot add 3 tablespoons butter and melt over medium-high heat. Add carrots and celery and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle 1/3 cup Flour over the top and stir until vegetables are well coated and flour is moistened about 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in 9 cups of chicken stock and roasted chicken meat. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid make sure broth is just barely simmering. Taste broth, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in half and half or cream.
- In a medium sized bowl stir together 1 1/3 cup flour, baking powder, salt, 1 teaspoon thyme and parsley until well combined. Make a small well in center of flour mixture and add egg, milk and butter. Mix until well combined. Dough will be moist.
- Drop dough into simmering broth by regular cookie scoop or 1 1/2 tablespoons for larger dumplings or 1 teaspoon for small dumplings. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley if desired and serve.