Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Saturday, November 21, 2015
Cranberry Orange Coffeecake With Brown Sugar Crumb #SundaySupper
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
I surprised Colt and the kids with this Cranberry Orange Coffeecake With Brown Sugar Crumb the other day to let them know just how thankful I am for them!
Colt even brought a few slices into work to share.
It happens to be a favorite in our house with the lightly sweetened airy spiced cake filled with little bites of bursting cranberries, flecks of orange zest and plenty of crunchy brown sugar crumb for the perfect balance of holiday flavor!
The last few years I have really tried to remember to be thankful everyday for my family, our health, a warm house and a roof over our head.
I am so thankful to have spent so much of my childhood with my Grandparents learning what life was like before cars and televisions.
Growing up Granny had shared pictures of her family's horse and buggy they used to transport produce to the market.
It was always a great reminder to be thankful for modern day transportation.
Life can become so busy it's easy to forget how lucky we are to have clean running water and Internet.
I don't think life is ever easy but I think when you take time to give thanks it makes what you have in your life so much more fulfilling.
For me I am Thankful to have had a day where I could make this Cranberry Orange Coffeecake and a husband who spends his lunch hour with me on the phone.
I'm thankful for each of my kids because they each teach me something new everyday.
I love how unique they are!
I am Thankful for each day I have and to be able to share the recipe for this delectable cake with you!
What are you thankful for this holiday season?
To make the crunchy Brown Sugar Crumb Topping: Mix together 1 1/3 cup Brown Sugar, 1/3 cup Flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon Ginger until well combined.
Add 4 tablespoons Cold Butter cut into tablespoon sized pieces and mix until mixture becomes crumbly and sticks together.
Move Brown Sugar Crumb mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
Using a vegetable peeler peel 2 whole Oranges being careful not to remove the white pith.
Chop orange peel finely.
When finished you should have 1/4 cup Finely Chopped Orange Zest.
In a mixer blend together 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar and 1/4 cup Orange Zest for 4 minutes to infuse the sugar with the orange zest.
Add 3/4 cup Cold Butter cut into tablespoon sized pieces.
Cream together until light and fluffy about 3 minutes.
Add 4 whole Eggs one at a time beating well between each addition.
Stir in 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract, 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger and 1/2 teaspoon Salt.
Beat until well combined.
Add 3 cups All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (1 cup at a time) and 1 1/2 cups Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt (1/2 cup at a time) in 1/3rds.
Scrape sides and bottom of bowl well and stir in 2 cups Cranberries.
Butter a 9"x13" pan and line pan with parchment paper and butter parchment paper well.
Spread Cranberry Orange Coffeecake batter evenly into pan.
Press Brown Sugar Crumb between fingers and evenly distribute over the top.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
Allow Cranberry Orange Coffeecake With Brown Sugar Crumb to cool before slicing.
A slice of Cranberry Orange Coffeecake With Brown Sugar Crumb is the perfect way to say Thank You to the ones you love over the holiday season whether it's for Thanksgiving brunch, a nice accompaniment to holiday pies, or a fun treat after a day of Christmas tree hunting it's guaranteed to be a hit!
For brunch or dessert I highly recommend serving Cranberry Orange Coffeecake with Pinot Noir for a red wine or Pinot Grigio for a white wine option from Gallo Family Vineyards.
Pinot Noir is a medium bodied wine with a smooth light finish and it's the perfect red wine to enjoy during the holidays!
Pinot Grigio is a highly versatile wine with clean refreshing notes of green apple, white peach and citrus.
Both Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio from Gallo Family Vineyards make excellent pairings over the holiday from appetizers to dessert and will be the perfect addition to your holiday table!
Gallo Family Wine is committed to helping Meals On Wheels America to improve the health and quality of life for seniors! For the sixth year in a row, Gallo Family Vineyards invites Americans to help end senior hunger and isolation with our annual Every Cork Counts™ program. Gallo Family Vineyards will donate $1 for every cork submitted through our website or snail mail.
All Gallo Family fans have to do is snap a picture, or send their corks to participate!
Please make sure to check out all the other #SundaySupper links below the recipe and Gallo Family Vineyards Giving Thanks post!
There's lots of delicious ideas to help you give thanks this holiday season!
Cranberry Orange Coffeecake With Brown Sugar Crumb
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Lightly sweetened Cranberry Orange Coffeecake is light and airy with a crunchy sweet Brown Sugar Crumb. It's a favorite for Thanksgiving and Christmas!Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT1H0M
Total time: PT1H20M
Yield: 16 Servings
Brown Sugar Crumb:
- 1 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 4 tablespoons Butter, Cut Into Tablespoon Pieces
Cranberry Orange Coffeecake:
- 1/4 cup Orange Zest No White Pith
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Cold Butter, Cut Into Tablespoon Sized Pieces
- 4 whole Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Sour Cream Or Greek Yogurt
- 2 cups Whole Cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9"x13" pan and line with parchment paper. Butter parchment paper well and set aside.
- To Make Brown Sugar Crumb Topping: In a mixer stir together 1 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ginger until well combined.
- Mix in 4 tablespoons of butter until well combined and crumbly. Set mixture aside.
- To Make Cranberry Orange Coffeecake Batter: Beat together granulated sugar and orange zest until sugar is infused with orange zest about 4 minutes. Then add 3/4 cup butter and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time beating well between each addition.
- Stir in vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt until well combined.
- Stir in 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup sour cream until combined. Repeat with remaining flour and sour cream.
- Fold in cranberries.
- Spread Cranberry Orange Coffeecake batter evenly in prepared pan. Press brown sugar crumb between your fingers and evenly distribute over the top of cake batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyard Wines and menu pairing ideas please visit their website http://www.gallofamily.com/. For more information of store locations and purchase please click here. You can connect with The Gallo Family Of Wines on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Antipasto by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blue Cheese, Fig, and Caramelized Onion Palmiers by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Crusty Artisan Style Bread by Life Tastes Good
- Grandma’s Oyster Stew by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Turkey Croquets with Mushroom Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Autumn Crunch Salad by Magnolia Days
- Harvest Chopped Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cranberry Pecan Turkey Salad by Family Foodie
- Kicked Up Oven Roasted Red Potatoes by Recipe for Perfection
- Roasted Squash and Wild Rice Salad by Ruffles and Truffles
- Rustic Herbed Stuffing with Greens by Shockingly Delicious
- Fig Basted Roast Butternut Squash Stuffed with Quinoa, Apple and Fig Stuffing by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Paella by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Balsamic Beef by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chocolate Gingerbread Blondies by Food Done Light
- Cinnamon Spice Coffee Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cranberry Orange Coffeecake With Brown Sugar Crumb by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Dark Chocolate Caramel Bark by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Pumpkin Angel Pie by Desserts Required
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake by Alida’s Kitchen