Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Friday, February 5, 2016
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
I've been dreaming of making this Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf for weeks.
I kept telling Colt every time we stepped foot in Trader Joes we need a bag of lemons so I can make my Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf.
It's one of those weird things if we don't buy them they'll be gone, but of course when we do I still have a bag that wasn't touched.
I'm sure Colt and the kids were leaving the lemons in anticipation of me finally using them.
Yesterday morning I realized I had 5 bags of lemons in the fridge, I may have discovered I have a problem with hoarding lemons.
This is what happens if I don't create a detailed list before heading to the grocery store, and I'll forget the one thing that I really need like milk.
I can't believe it took me this long to make this loaf since it really is super easy.
I also loved how the kids all went straight to the kitchen after school to find out what I was baking.
I've discovered when I'm having a difficult day doing something nice for someone else like Colt and the kids definitely helps me to feel better, and this loaf accomplished just that!
The hardest part was keeping LJ away from the Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf until Colt could take the finished photos, the kid was like a vulture, and only asked a million times when he could have a slice.
This loaf is perfect in just about every way with a divine crumb, not overly sweet, and plenty of lemon shining through.
The hardest part is sharing the loaf, next time I'll need to make 2!
Cream together 1/2 cup Butter, 1 cup Granulated Sugar, and 2 tablespoons Lemon Zest until light and fluffy.
Tip: I like using a vegetable peeler to peel the lemon zest and then finely chopping the peel.
Add 2 whole Eggs one at a time and beat well between each addition.
Add 2/3 cup Milk, 1/3 cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice, and 1 teaspoon Vanilla.
Mix until combined and scrape sides of bowl well.
Add 2 cups All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda, 1 teaspoon Salt, and 2 tablespoons Poppy Seeds.
Mix until combined but don't over mix. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
Grease a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan with butter.
Add Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf batter to pan.
Allow batter to rest for 20 minutes while preheating oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake for 60-70 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
Allow loaf to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a cooling rack, to finish cooling completely.
To make the Lemon Glaze: Add 1 cup Sifted Powdered Sugar and 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice.
Stir until smooth and well combined.
Glaze should be thick but able to drizzle, if needed add additional lemon juice 1/4 teaspoon at a time.
Drizzle Lemon Glaze over the top of cooled loaf.
We love Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf for brunch, dessert or just because!
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf has a divine crumb with lots of lemon flavor. It's perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dessert, and always a favorite!Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT60M
Total time: PT1H15M
Yield: 1 Loaf
- 1/2 cup Butter, Room Temperature
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Zest
- 2 whole Eggs
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup Lemon Juice, Fresh Squeezed
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Poppy Seeds
For Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar, Sifted
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice, Fresh Squeezed
- Grease a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan.
- Cream butter, granulated sugar, and lemon zest.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Scrape down sides of bowl and stir in milk, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Add all of the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds. Stir until combined. Scraped sides and bottom of bowl well.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and allow to rest for 20 minutes while oven preheats to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
- Allow loaf to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
- To make Lemon Glaze: Stir together sifted powdered sugar and lemon juice until a thick glaze forms. If too thick to drizzle add additional lemon juice 1/4 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled loaf and enjoy!