Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Monday, May 30, 2016
Banana Bread Coffeecake
I had a ton of banana's that were becoming overripe on the counter along with almost a shelf of frozen banana's in the freezer I've been saving for a day when I felt up to baking, and I knew I was long overdue to make a couple loaves of Banana Bread. So I decided I better put them to use to make Banana Bread Coffeecake.
I'm super picky when it comes to Banana Bread, because there's nothing worse then a dry, tasteless loaf of Banana Bread, but these loaves never disappoint. I decided to make a double batch of Grannies Banana Luncheon Loaf, and then covered it with a brown sugar coffeecake crumb for a lovely treat! These loaves turn out perfect every time, with a deliciously moist crumb. The addition of a crunchy coffeecake crumb really make these loaves extra special and worthy of a lazy weekend with a cuppa.
To make the Coffeecake Crumb: Mix together 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour, 3/4 cup Brown Sugar, and 1 teaspoon Sea Salt, until well combined.
Add 6 tablespoons Cubed Butter, and mix until crumbly.
Move Coffeecake Crumb to a small bowl, and set aside.
For Banana Bread: Cream together 1 cup Coconut Oil Or Butter, 1 cup Brown Sugar, and 1 cup Granulated Sugar, until light and fluffy. Add 4 eggs one at a time beating well between each addition.
Mash 8 whole Medium/Large Extra Ripe Banana's about 2 2/3 cup, and add to creamed sugar mixture.
Add 4 cups Flour, 2 teaspoons Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon Baking Soda, and 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt (omit if using Salted Butter), mix until combined.
Grease (2) 9"x5"x3" loaf pans and divide batter evenly between both pans . Push batter evenly into corners of pan leaving center slightly hallowed.
Press Coffeecake Crumb between fingers to make large crumbs and divide evenly over the top of loaves. Allow loaves to rest 20 minutes while preheating oven to 350 degrees.
Bake loaf for 60-70 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of loaf comes out clean. Allow loaf to cool completely before slicing.
You know I'm all about that crumb, 'bout that crumb, no doubt! Who's not crazy about a crunchy coffeecake crumb?
A slice of Banana Bread Coffeecake and a pat of butter is out of this world amazing! It really doesn't get much better then this!
Banana Bread Coffeecake
Recipe by Banana Bread Coffeecake
A perfectly moist loaf of Banana Bread with a brown sugar coffeecake crumb topping.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT1H0M
Total time: PT1H15M
Yield: 2 Loaves
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 6 tablespoons Cold Butter, Cut Into Cubes
- 1 cup Coconut Oil, Butter, Or Shortening
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 4 whole Eggs
- 8 whole Medium/Large Extra Ripe Banana's Mashed (About 2 2/3 cup)
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, Fluffed
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt (Omit if using Salted Butter)
- Grease (2) 9"x5"x3" loaf pan.
- Mix together 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt, until well combined. Add 6 tablespoons butter and stir together until well combined and mixture forms large crumbs when pressed between fingers, butter should no longer be visible. Move to a small bowl and set aside.
- Cream together 1 cup coconut oil, 1 cup brown sugar, and granulated sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition.
- Add mashed banana's and stir until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between greased pans. Spread batter evenly into corners of pan leaving center slightly hallowed.
- Press Coffeecake Crumb between fingers to make large crumbs and divide evenly over the top of loaves. Allow loaves to rest 20 minutes while preheating oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake on center rack for 60-70 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Allow loaves to cool completely before slicing.