Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Tuesday, June 28, 2016
Ambrosia Salad is one of those heavenly salad's. It's a year around holiday staples that's a necessity for gatherings, whether it be for a 4th of July BBQ, Thanksgiving, or Christmas it's loved by young and old a like, frequently enticing childhood memories with each luscious mouthful. In Greek mythology Ambrosia was the food of the Gods and the name is only fitting for such a delicious spin on a traditional fruit salad.
There is many variations of how to make Ambrosia Salad from vanilla pudding to cool whip, but my version of Ambrosia Salad uses as many fresh ingredients as possible, minus the marshmallows and unsweetened flaked coconut, which both could be done from scratch if time allows. I used honey as the sweeter, greek yogurt, and fresh cream, to make a heavenly sauce. Then I added fresh pineapple, mandarin oranges, and fresh cherries. Maraschino cherries can be substituted in the winter time, or when fresh cherries are no longer available but I find the fresh cherries really add a wonderful burst of flavor to this classic salad.
Ambrosia Salad is positively to die for! Make it this summer for a picnic, for 4th of July, in the Fall a few times just because, and in the winter since the pineapples and oranges are the best. It's a must for any gathering no matter the time of year!
Beat together 3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, 2 tablespoon Honey, and 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract until it becomes whipped cream.
Mix in 3/4 cup Greek Yogurt until well combined.
The sauce is just lightly sweetened making it the perfect accompaniment to the fruit.
Fold in the Whipped Cream mixture and garnish with additional chopped nuts if desired.
Refrigerate for 4 hours for flavors to blend and salad to become cold.
Little mouthfuls of heaven in every bite!
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Ambrosia Salad using fresh whipped cream, greek yogurt, and fresh fruit takes a classic holiday salad to a whole new level of deliciousness!Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT0M
Total time: PT15M
Yield: 10 Servings
- 3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh Clementine Oranges, Segmented and Peeled
- 1 1/2 cup Fresh Pineapple, Cored, Peeled, and Cubed (About 1/2 a whole Pineapple)
- 1 1/2 cups Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1 cup Fresh Cherries, Pitted or Maraschino Cherries
- 1 cup Pecans, Chopped
- 3 cups Miniature Marshmallows
- Beat together whipping cream, honey, and vanilla, until mixture turns into whipped cream. Stir in greek yogurt on low speed until well combined.
- Fold in oranges, pineapple, coconut flake, cherries, pecans, and miniature marshmallows until well combined.
- Garnish with additional chopped nuts if desired and refrigerate for 4 hours for flavors to meld or until cold.