Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Wednesday, July 20, 2016
Cheddar Cheese Hamburger Buns
I love a good burger, and one of the important things to a good burger starts with the right bun. Cheddar Cheese Hamburger Buns are crusty, chewy, with plenty of cheddar cheese flavor making them the perfect vessel for loading with a hearty hamburger patty, and all the makings.
Homemade Cheddar Cheese Hamburger Buns are actually fairly easy to make, other then a bit time consuming, but you'll quickly find them worth the effort.
In a large bowl fitted with a dough hook stir together 1 1/2 cups Warm Water (under 110 degrees F), 1 3/4 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast, and 1 teaspoon Honey, until well combined.
I'm missing a photo but add 1 tablespoon Butter, and 1/4 cup Finely Mined Onion to a skillet, and cook until caramelized. Set onion aside to cool.
Allow to rest for about 8-10 minutes until yeast becomes frothy.
In a medium sized bowl combine 3 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour, 1 1/2 cups Grated Cheddar Cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt, until cheese is well coated with flour to prevent clumping.
Add flour/cheese mixture, and caramelized onions into mixing bowl fitted with a dough hook. Knead on medium speed until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl, is smooth, and elastic.
Place dough in a large bowl greased with Olive Oil, and cover. Rise for 45 minutes.
Fold dough into it's self on all four sides and flip over to smooth side. Recover dough. Rise for another 45 minutes, and repeat process. The realigning of the gluten helps to develop flavor, and texture of the buns.
After the second folding of the dough rise for 35-45 minutes, until doubled in size.
Punch dough down, and divide in half on a lightly floured cutting board, cut each half into 3 portions for a total of 6 rolls. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and then pat down into a hamburger sized patty.
Place on parchment paper or silpat lined baking sheet.
Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to 2 days.
Remove from refrigerator. Allow buns to come to room temperature, and double in size, while preheating oven to 500 degrees.
Right before placing buns in oven slice 3 shallow slash's across top of buns using a very sharp knife.
Mist buns with water. I find flicking water with a basting brush works well. Bake in 500 degree preheated oven for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 400 degrees and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until buns are golden brown on the outside, and hallow sounding when tapped.
Remove from pan and cool.
Hearty, crusty Cheddar Cheese Hamburger Buns are a must have on your next burger night! It really takes a good burger to over the top deliciousness!
Make sure to stop back by on Sunday for #SundaySupper, when Colt and I will share our recipe for Whiskey Burgers loaded with a hearty meat patty, bacon, cheese, and a homemade whiskey barbecue sauce, on top of Cheddar Cheese Hamburger Buns of course, it's the burger to have at our house at the moment!
Cheddar Cheese Hamburger Buns
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Cheddar Cheese Hamburger Buns are crusty, chewy and full of cheddar flavor!Prep time: PT3H0M
Cook time: PT25M
Total time: PT7H25M
Yield: 6 Buns
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water (Under 110 degrees)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/4 cup Onion, Finely Minced
- 3 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Olive Oil For Greasing Bowl
- In a mixer fitted with a dough hook combine warm water, yeast, and honey. Allow to rest for 8-10 minutes until yeast becomes frothy.
- Caramelize onions in butter over medium-high heat, and set aside to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl combine flour with cheddar cheese, and salt, until well combined to prevent clumps.
- Add flour mixture to yeast mixture, and caramelized onions.
- Knead on medium speed, until dough pulls away from sides of bowl, and becomes smooth and elastic.
- Grease a large bowl with olive oil. Add dough to bowl and cover. Rise for 45 minutes.
- Fold each side of dough over onto itself on all four sides in the bowl to make a square, flip over to smooth side, and recover the dough.
- Allow to rise another 45 minutes, and repeat folding the dough. This is realigning the gluten in the rolls.
- Recover dough and rise 30-45 minutes until doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured work surface divide dough in half. Divide each half into 3. For a total of 6 buns.
- To shape rolls tuck edges of the roll under until rolls become smooth on top and round, form into disks the size of hamburger patties. Place rolls seam side down onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat.
- Place shaped buns into the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees and remove buns from the refrigerator while oven preheats. Allow rolls to double in size. Using a sharp knife slash 3 shallow cuts across each bun, if desired or leave plain.
- Right before placing rolls in the oven mist with water.
- Bake in 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 400 degree and bake 10-15 minutes more until rolls are brown on the outside and hollow sounding when top is tapped.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.