Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Curly Endive With Spaghetti (aka Chicory)
Roll call: olive oil, large onion, 1 head garlic, pinch red pepper or more to taste, salt to taste, curly endive aka chicory, 1 lb spaghetti, fresh grated parmigiano reggiano.(missing in action 1 lemon)
Cut curly endive and wash well. I place in a giant bowl filled with water and swish it around to remove any grit left behind. Cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve a half cup pasta water and drain.
Slice garlic and onion.
Once again my favorite thing... Caramelize onion in 3
tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
When onion is starting to brown add garlic, red pepper flakes, mix and cook until garlic is soft and mixture looks like the next picture.
When mixture resembles this it is time to add your curly endive.
Mix curly endive with onions and garlic and add 1/2 cup pasta water.
Bake down until greens are hot but not soggy. Add pasta, fresh squeezed lemon, pepper and fresh grated parmigiano reggiano. Salt to taste. Toss to combined.
Top with fresh parmigiano reggiano and dinner is served.
My son slurping up his noodles he was a happy camper!
( Please don't notice my daughter's sweat shirt hanging on the chair, some how stuff is always where it doesn't belong in our house!)
Curly Endive With Spaghetti
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Curly Endive With Spaghetti is a quick and easy to make meatless meal!Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT20M
Total time: PT30M
Yield: 5 Servings
- 1 pound Spaghetti Cooked To Al Dente, Drained
- 1/2 cup Pasta Water Reserved From Spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 head Medium-Large Garlic, Peeled and Sliced
- 1 whole Onion, Sliced
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes Or To Taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt and Pepper, or to taste
- 1 head Curly Endive, also known as chicory
- 1 whole Lemon, Juiced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and add onion. Saute until onion starts to become brown, add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until garlic is soft and fragrant.
- Add curly endive and 1/2 cup reserved pasta water, combine. Cook until curly endive is cooked down but not soggy. Add cooked pasta, fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and parmesan cheese. Toss to combine.