This is my all time favorite soup every time we eat Thai I order it. I was a little bit skeptical of trying to make this at home only because every recipe had a different variation and some called for Tom Yum Soup Mix that had MSG, no thank you. This is another recipe that probably isn't authentic since I kind of did my own thing, but it was delicious.This ended up being so flavorful with a perfect balance of flavors, a must make for any sickies in the house. It's super easy to make and will be something we enjoy more often now that I have the sauces in the fridge. Please adjust the heat to your liking by adding more Thai chili's or garlic chili paste. The hubby and kids have already asked to eat this again along with Fresh Shrimp Spring Rolls. I found my ingredients at store that carries a very large Asian food section, if you don't have a supermarket with a large Asian section I would go to an Asian store. They will be able to help you find what you need.
Place Water, Lemon Grass, Keffir Lime Leaves, Fish Sauce, Thai Red Chili, Fish Sauce, Honey, Roasted Red Chili Paste,Tamarind Paste and Chili Garlic Sauce.
Bring to a simmer and turn to low.Cook for 15 minutes.
Add Shrimp, Mushrooms and Tomatoes. Cook another 10 minutes. Remove from heat. I had leftover glass noodles and mung bean sprouts from making the Fresh Shrimp Spring Rolls so I add those, 1 Tomato, fresh Lime juice, Thai Basil and Cilantro. Adjust heat by adding more Garlic Chili Sauce. Enjoy!
- 8 cups Water
- 4 (4") long Pieces Lemon Grass
- 4 whole Kefir Lime Leaves
- 2-4 whole Red Thai Chili's
- 4 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Roasted Red Pepper Paste
- 3 tablespoon Tamarind Paste
- 3 tablespoons Garlic Chili Paste Or To Taste
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- 1 pound Shrimp, Peeled and Devained
- 8 ounces Mushrooms, Cleaned And Sliced
- 1 whole Tomato, Diced
- 1 1/2 whole Limes, Juiced
- 2 cups Glass Noodles, Softened (optional)
- 2 cups Mung Bean Sprouts (optional)
- 1/2 cup Thai Basil, Chiffonade
- 1/2 cup Cilantro
- Place in a large pan water, lemon grass, keffir lime leaves, Thai chili's, fish sauce, roasted red pepper paste, tamarind, garlic chili paste and honey. Bring to a simmer and turn heat to low. Cook 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and mushrooms. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat add tomato, lime juice, glass noodles, mung bean sprouts, Thai basil and cilantro. Stir well and serve.
Tom Yum Soup With Shrimp
Tom Yum Soup With Shrimp an easy healthy meal for lunch or dinner with under 300 calories per serving and only 2 grams of fat. Recipe includes step by step instructions with photos.Prep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT25M
Total time: PT35M
Yield: 5 Servings
Calories per serving: 270Ingredients
Fat per serving: 2
Fat per serving: 2