Skinny mashed yams!
I received 2 yams the other day in our veggie box that is delivered and I thought hmmm what should I make with these?
Then I realized I haven't shared a favorite staple in our house when we have yams.
These are amazing, it's really the only way I like yams..
I always thought I hated yams until I realized there was just way to much sugar added to them every time I tried them.
I still persisted in hopes that one day I would enjoy yams.
While that day has come and the secret I found was yams are sweet enough with out a bunch of extra sugar if cooked the right way...
I didn't even add milk or cream..Total deliciousness...Sometimes at the holiday's I will add a little crunch topping or marshmallows just to make them feel traditional but truth be told we prefer them naked!
Peel and chop yams.
Add yams,sea salt, cinnamon and water.
Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Keep an eye on the yams to make sure not all the water evaporates.
Do not drain allow yams to sit for 3 minutes without the lid and then add butter.
Add pepper to taste and mash those babies good.
Mmmm...Deliciousness where's my fork? If yam's are dry you can add a splash of milk, this is usually not the case.
Skinny Mashed Yams
Skinny Mashed Yams.Prep time: PT5M
Cook time: PT20M
Total time: PT25M
Calories per serving: 84Ingredients
Fat per serving: 5
Fat per serving: 5
- 2 whole Large Yams, Peeled And Cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper Or To Taste
- 1 splash Milk If Yams Are Dry
- In a large saucepan add yams, cinnamon, sea salt and water.
- Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Turn heat to low. Check yams after 15 minutes to make sure there is liquid still in the bottom of the pan, if not add another 1/4 cup water to prevent burning and check yams for doneness. Recover and continue to cook yams for another 5 minutes or until fork tender. DO NOT DRAIN.
- Remove lid and allow yams to sit for 3 minutes.
- Add butter and pepper.
- Mash yams with a potato masher until smooth and creamy. Add a splash of milk if needed.