A redo on Sweet and Sour Chicken, a classic chinese food favorite!
I love a good sweet and sour chicken but I wanted something a little bit healthier but with all the flavors I love and I was hoping to have dinner done in under 30 minutes. On busy school night with homework and the million other things going on during the week I am always trying to come up with meals the kids and hubby love and are fairly quick to make.
Voila, I bring you Light Sweet And Sour Chicken. The sauce has a mild sweet and sour flavor. I wasn't looking for an overpowering sauce but rather a nice compliment to the chicken and veggies. If you like a little more tang feel free to adjust the vinegar to your liking, sweeter add a little more honey.
For the sauce you need 1 cup Pineapple Juice, 1/4 cup Ketchup, 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar, 2 tablespoons Cornstarch ( I buy mine in the bulk section were they carry a non GMO organic one), 1 tablespoon Honey, 1/4 teaspoon Granulated Garlic and 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce. Mix together until thoroughly combined.
In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil (I used coconut oil) over high heat until hot. Add chicken and garlic. Cook until lightly brown.
Rotate chicken and brown the other side.
Add Green and Red Bell Peppers and Snow Peas. Mix together well.
Add Pineapple Chunks and cover with Sweet and Sour Sauce. Mix until combine. Reduce heat to medium and cook until vegetables are tender and sauce thickens about 4-5 minutes. Serve over rice and enjoy!
Light Sweet And Sour Chicken
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 5-6 servings
- 1 tablespoon Cooking Oil (I used Coconut Oil)
- 3 whole Chicken Breast, Cubed
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 whole Bell Peppers, Cut Medium Sized Pieces (I Use 1 Green And 1 Red)
- 1/2 pound Snow Peas
- 20 ounce Canned Pineapple Chunks In 100 Percent Juice, Drained Juice Reserved
For Sweet And Sour Sauce
- 1 cup Pineapple Juice From Drained Pineapple Chunk
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 1/4 cup Plain Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce Or To Taste
- For Sweet and Sour Sauce: Mix all ingredients together and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat oil over high heat until hot. Add chicken and garlic and cook until chicken is lightly brown on both sides.
- Add bell pepper and snow peas and mix until combined with chicken.
- Mix in pineapple chunks and sweet and sour sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook until sauce thickens and vegetables are desired doneness about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!