Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Wednesday, August 7, 2013
Combination French Bread Pizza
Friday nights at our house are reserved for pizza night.
Except for the last few weeks we've had Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday Pizza nights as needed. If Colt can't cook, pizza's the next best thing.
Then we had a pizza break. I was blessed my friend Jean came over with an amazing Baked Ziti last week to help in our meal dilemma and between Colt and Lorna they came up with a few quick meals they could make, even if Colt had to work late.
I think were getting close to resuming Friday night pizza night soon along with a movie or games.
We made this French Bread Pizza the Friday before my accident and oh man was it delicious!
I love French Bread Pizza but there are a few tricks to making it amazing.
The one thing I don't like about french bread pizza is when the breads not crunchy enough and your eating a soggy piece of french bread topped with your favorite toppings.
It's just not right!
So I'm solving that problem for you today!
Plus it's almost back to school time and this makes a great dinner for a busy weeknight.
Are you ready for my secret to great French Bread Pizza?
It's lightly toasting it before you place your pizza sauce and toppings on, it makes it nice and crunchy.
First things first cut your french bread in half length wise and brush all over (bottom and top) with extra virgin olive oil.
Place french bread on a cookie sheet and toast in a 450 degree oven until just barely brown and toasty about 4 minutes.
Spread toasted french bread with your favorite marinara or pizza sauce.
Top each half of pizza with mozzarella cheese. If using pepperoni place pepperoni or canadian bacon over cheese. (If your a vegetarian feel free to skip this step and go on to the next step. On this particular night we did a combination.
Top with mushrooms, onions and bell pepper.
Cover the top of pizza with remaining cheese. Then sprinkle evenly with Italian seasoning and pop back into a 450 degree oven for 4-6 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and starts to brown.
Remove from oven and top with fresh sliced tomatoes.
Allow to cool long enough not to burn your mouth.
I always learn that the hard way!
Combination French Bread Pizza
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Combination French Bread Pizza Recipe. The secret to great french bread pizza.
5 starsPrep time: PT10M
Cook time: PT10M
Total time: PT20M
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 loaf French Bread, Cut In Half Length Wise
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 cups Marinara Or Pizza Sauce
- 1 pound Mozzarella Cheese, Grated.
- 8 ounces Pepperoni, Sliced Thin
- 1 whole Green Bell Pepper, Sliced Thin
- 8 ounces Mushrooms, Cleaned and Sliced Thin
- 1/2 cup Onion, Thinly Sliced
- 1 can Black Olives, Drained And Sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 whole Large Tomato, Sliced Thin
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Brush french bread inside and out with olive oil. Place in preheated oven and bake for 4 minutes or until bread starts to lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and spread marinara sauce evenly on toasted cut side of both pieces of bread.
- Cover each side of marinara covered french bread with 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese, divide pepperoni evenly between both halves, top pepperoni with bell pepper, mushrooms, onions and olives.
- Divide remaining cheese between both halves to cover toppings.
- Sprinkle Italian Seasoning evenly between both loaves.
- Bake in oven 4-6 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Remove from oven top with fresh tomato.
- Slice and enjoy.