I've spent a lot of hours working on a perfectly Moist Yellow Cake. I've tasted one to many dry or tasteless recipes that never compare to the moist flavorful yellow cake found in the cute local bakeries.
But fear not my friends I have finally perfected a moist yellow cake and then as if that's not good enough I covered it in a delicious Mocha Buttercream Frosting.
Swoon.. There's just something amazingly delicious about yellow cake with a chocolate Mocha Buttercream Frosting.
Even LJ stated he doesn't care for frosting usually but he loved the Mocha Buttercream Frosting because it wasn't too sweet, just the right amount of chocolate and coffee.
I made this cake especially for Lorna to celebrate her 14th Birthday yesterday, in case you missed it I shared my short post here.
Cream cold butter in mixer and add sugar. Cream until light and fluffy on medium speed. I use cold butter because I find it holds more volume.
Scrape sides of bowl and add egg yolk and 1 egg. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
Repeat with remaining eggs beating well between each addition and scraping sides of bowl as needed.
Add vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until well combined. Scrape sides of bowl.
Add all the flour, yogurt and milk. Mix on low speed until just combined.
Scrape sides of bowl and make sure batter is well combined.
Grease 2 (8") rounds with butter. Line with parchment paper and butter parchment paper.
This helps the cake release from the pan when done cooking and greasing under the parchment paper helps keep the parchment paper from sliding.
Divide batter evenly between pans and bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven cool for 10 minutes in pan and then invert onto a cooling rack and finish cooling to room temperature.
Cream softened butter and cocoa powder together until well combined.
Add powdered sugar, salt, coffee, half& half and vanilla.
Beat until smooth and creamy.
I trimmed the tops of the cakes to level them. This is optional but will help the cake stay level.
I also place 3-4 stripes of parchment paper under cake, so if your a little messy with the frosting you can remove the strips of parchment paper around the edge for a clean surface.
Spread 1/3 of frosting over bottom layer and top with next cake layer.
Use remaining frosting to frost sides and top of cake. Feel free to lick the spatula.
We were in a hurry to snap a photo before we ran out of day light but if you store the cake in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving it will help the frosting set and give a cleaner cut.
Moist Yellow Cake With Mocha Buttercream Frosting
Perfect Moist Yellow Cake with Mocha Buttercream Frosting like found at the local bakery. Recipe includes step by step instructions with photos.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT28M
Total time: PT48M
Yield: 12 Servings
Calories per serving: 590Ingredients
Fat per serving: 24
Fat per serving: 24
- 3/4 cup Cold Butter, Plus More For Pans
- 1 2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 whole Egg Yolks
- 3 whole Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Milk
For Mocha Buttercream Frosting:
- 10 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
- 1 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Strong Coffee
- 2 Tablespoons Half & Half or Milk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2 (8") Cake Pans with butter and line bottoms with parchment paper, butter parchment paper.
- Cream cold butter and add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy on medium speed.
- Scrape sides of bowl and add egg yolk and eggs one at a time beating well between each addition. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Add vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until well combined. Scrape sides of bowl.
- Add flour, yogurt and milk. Mix on medium low speed just until combined being careful not to over mix.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans and bake for 26-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and cool for 10 minutes in pans. Then invert onto a cooling rack and finish cooling to room temperature.
- To make Mocha Buttercream Frosting: Cream together butter, cocoa powder and salt until smooth.
- Add coffee, half & half or milk, vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Mix on medium low speed until well combined and smooth. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- For a level cake trim top off of cake. Spread 1/3 of the Mocha Buttercream Frosting. Top with second layer and frost sides and top of cake.
- For the cleanest cut refrigerate cake for 1-2 hours to help frosting set before serving.