A moist spicy carrot cake recipe covered in cream cheese frosting. Very Moist and full of flavor.
The suns finally shining in Washington and I'm ready to celebrate and I have just the cake ready for this occasion Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Carrot Cake was always one of those childhood favorites Granny made and one of the first cakes I mastered from scratch.
It floods my mind with memories of her in the kitchen happily slaving away.
She was one of those women who always did whatever needed to be done plus more without a complaint.
She was always kind, she cooked, she cleaned, she gardened and she raised me until I was about 11 years old while taking care of my Granddad who had a stroke and lost the use of most the left side of his body when I was about 5.
I can't remember one time where she raised her voice or lost composure.
My memories of her reminds me of Superwomen.
I don't know how at 70 years old she had the energy to do everything she did.
Some days I feel lucky to have dinner on the table.
She always inspires me to try to be kinder and give my all in everything I do.
I'm thankful for the years she spent raising me and the memories she made.
As we gather around the table to enjoy the rays of sunshine and our slice of Carrot Cake I like to think she's smiling down from heaven.
Beat brown sugar, granulated sugar and coconut oil until creamy.
Add baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat until well incorporated and scrape sides of bowl well.
Add eggs 1 at a time and beat well between each addition. Scrape sides of bowl.
Add greek yogurt, flour and grated carrots.
Mix batter until well combined.
Divide batter evenly between pans and spread evenly.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
Let cool for 5 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack.
Allow to cool completely before frosting.
For Cream Cheese Frosting: Combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Beat until throughly combined.
Add a pinch of salt...
Add powdered sugar and beat until creamy and smooth. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
Cream cheese frosting is one of those things I have to take a few tastes...
If it's warm out stick cake in the freezer for 10 minutes before icing and put cream cheese frosting in the refrigerator. This will help make it easier to work with the cream cheese frosting, it can be really soft.
Spread frosting in the center of cake and top with second layer.
Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
I decorated this Carrot Cake with a simple swirl pattern around the top starting in the center and working my way out and then I just swirled the icing up and down around the sides.
Nothing fancy required!
Oh Carrot Cake how I love thee!
So good I promise it won't disappoint!
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
A moist spicy carrot cake recipe covered in cream cheese frosting from scratch. Recipe includes step by step instructions with photos.Prep time: PT20M
Cook time: PT55M
Total time: PT3H
Yield: 10 Servings
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/3 cup Coconut Oil or Softened Butter
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 teaspoons Cinnamon, Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg, Ground
- 3 whole Eggs
- 1/3 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 4 cups Grated Carrots
- 10 ounces Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1/2 cup Butter, Softened
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 1/4 cups Powdered Sugar, Sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter 2 (8") cake pans and line bottom of the pans with parchment paper and butter parchment paper.
- Beat brown sugar, granulated sugar and coconut oil until creamy.
- Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat until well combined. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Add eggs 1 at a time and beat well between each addition. Scrape sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add greek yogurt, flour and grated carrot. Mix until well combined.
- Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool 5 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. Remove parchment paper and cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting: Combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
- Add salt and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate frosting for 10 minutes before using and place cake in the freezer.
- Spread 1/4 of frosting in the center of cake. Top with second layer and frost tops and sides of cake.
- Store cake in the refrigerator.