Posted by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch / Sunday, September 7, 2014
Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake With Chocolate Crumb #SundaySupper
A great use for a garden full of zucchini. Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb is light yet fudgy with a crunchy chocolate crumb. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
I love this weeks Sunday Supper theme of Squash Fest because I'm always looking for different ways to enjoy squash and I can't wait to check out all the tasty recipes that are shared!
I couldn't think of a better way to bring the family back to the dinner table then this Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake With Chocolate Crumb it's definitely one of my favorite uses for squash because it's filled with zucchini and lots of chocolaty goodness!
Shhh...Don't tell I ate a slice for breakfast and think it's perfect for brunch or dessert and loved every bite.
It's perfectly chocolaty and super moist with a crunchy chocolate crumb.
You have to make it sooner then later!
I also want to give a shout out to this weeks Sunday Supper hosts A Mama, Baby & Shar-Pei In The Kitchen and Confessions Of A Culinary Diva, thanks so much for hosting!
To make the chocolate crumb combine in a mixer: 2/3 cup All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder, 1 cup Granulated Sugar and 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt.
Mix on low until well combined.
Add 1/2 cup Cubed Butter in small pieces.
Mix until well combined and crumbly.
Move to a small bowl and set aside.
Cream 2/3 cup Butter and 1 1/2 cup Brown Sugar until light and fluffy.
Add 2 whole Eggs 1 at a time until well incorporated.
Mix in 2/3 cup Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 2 teaspoons Baking Soda, 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla until throughly combined.
Add 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, 2/3 cup Strong Coffee, 1 1/2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar and 3 cups Shredded Zucchini.
Mix batter until well combined.
Butter a 9"x13" pan and line with parchment paper and butter parchment paper.
Pour chocolate zucchini cake into pan and spread evenly.
Press chocolate crumb mixture between fingers and distribute evenly over the top of the cake.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool completely in pan before slicing.
I think it's the perfect treat for Breakfast, Brunch or Dessert and a great use for all the extra zucchini from the garden.
Make sure to check out all the other delicious links for #SundaySupper squash fest after the recipe.
Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake With Chocolate Crumb
Recipe by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
A great use for a garden full of zucchini. Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb is light yet fudgy with a crunchy chocolaty crumb and perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert.Prep time: PT15M
Cook time: PT50M
Total time: PT1H5M
Yield: 12 Servings
For Chocolate Crumb:
- 2/3 cup All-Purpose Flour Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/3 cup All Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
For Chocolate Zucchini Cake:
- 1/2 cup Cold Butter, Cubed
- 2/3 cup Butter, Room Temperature Plus Additional For Pan
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
- 2 whole Eggs
- 2/3 cup All Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2/3 cup Strong Hot Coffee
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 cups Shredded Zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9"x13" pan and line with parchment paper. Butter parchment paper and set aside.
- To Make Chocolate Crumb Topping: In a mixer combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar and sea salt until well blended. Add butter and mix until well blended and crumbly. Remove to a small bowl and set aside.
- For Chocolate Zucchini Cake: Cream butter and brown sugar in mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time blending well between each addition.
- Mix in cocoa powder, baking soda, sea salt and vanilla until well combined.
- Add flour, coffee, apple cider vinegar and zucchini mix until combined.
- Spread chocolate zucchini batter evenly over prepared pan. Press chocolate crumb mixture between fingers while distributing evenly over the top of cake.
- Bake cake for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool before serving.
Starters – Appetizers & Cocktails:
- Bourbon Pumpkin Pie in a Glass from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Pancakes from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Mommas Meals
- Zucchini Tomato Focaccia Bread with Pretzel Salt from Family Foodie
- Creamy Dairyfree Zucchini Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli e Zucchini from Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Pumpkin Soup with Bacon and Persimmon from Culinary Adventures with Camillia
- Tofu Vegetable Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Zucchini Cheese Soup from Noshing with the Nolands
- Zucchini Noodles with Basil Vinaigrette from Ruffles and Truffles
- Acorn Squash Ramen from Ninja Baking
- Beef, Butternut & Potato Pie from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Beef Ragu over Spaghetti Squash from The Texan New Yorker
- Black Bean, Butternut Squash & Millet Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Ancho-Guajillo Chile Sauce from Simply Healthy Family
- Chorizo-Stuffed Zucchini from La Cocina de Leslie
- Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles & Meatballs from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Lasagna from Curious Cuisiniere
- Risotto with Butternut Squash, Chicken and Sage from Cooking Chat
- Sausage and Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Cups from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Sesame Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole from Shockingly Delicious
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche with Spaghetti Squash Crust from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Stuffed Red Kuri Squash from Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini-Corn Pancakes from The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Thyme Baked Acorn Squash from An Appealing Plan
- Creamy Baked Acorn Squash from Simply Gourmet
- Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Kabocha no Nimono (Simmered Acorn Squash) from A Mama, Baby and Shar Pei in the Kitchen
- Roasted Kabocha Squash from Peaceful Cooking
- Roasted Zucchini and Yellow Squash Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Spaghetti Squash Fritters from Nosh My Way
- Sweet and Savory Roasted Delicata Squash and Pear from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Zucchini Succotash Cobbler with Cornbread Topping from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes from Brunch with Joy
- Granny’s Zucchini Bread from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll Ups with Pumpkin Spice Dipping Sauce from Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Cookie Butter Cinnamon Buns with Cookie Butter Glaze from Grumpy's Honey Bunch
- Pumpkin Pie Layer Cheesecake Bars from Wallflour Girl
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Zucchini Brownies from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Zucchini Lemon Ginger Bread from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks